Help With Planning New 75 Gallon.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

By-tor

Reaction score
Greetings all,
this is my first post here at TFF. I have been out of the fish keeping for about 10 years now. I had many small tanks when I was a kid. My last tank was a 20 gallon that I had for about 11 years. I really enjoyed it and had a lot of fun with it.
I am wanting to do a "bigger" tank. I have my eyes set on a 75 gallon freshwater. I would like some input on the setup I am thinking about doing.
As far as filter I am looking at the Fluval FX4. The canister filter is a new thing to me and it seems like the way to go for larger tanks. Input on what filter media I should use would be greatly appreciated.
I was also wondering what you think about my stocking of fish and if they would be compatible. Here is the community I was thinking about.
6 Silver Dollars
2 Small Angels
Maybe a couple of Discus ?? (not sure if they would be compatible)
1 Red tip Shark
Rainbow Fish ??
and maybe a few other compatible community fish?

Another concern I had in mind was that this tank would be on the second story of my house. I do not think its a problem based on other research I have done but It would ease my mind a little if I was re assured everything would be fine.
Thank you for any input or ideas that you might have or would like to share. I look forward to getting my tank going and enjoying it for many years.

Cheers!!

Eric

Welcome :)

Before we can really help what is the hardness of your water and the dimensions of the tank? As this can change the suitability for the fish.

I don't think any of us can assure you the tank will be fine on the 2nd floor. Only way to know for certain is engage a structural engineer to check the load limit for that portion of the floor. It is likely to be fine though as most floors will be weighted well above that weight

Hello and thank you,
As for the tank dimensions, it is most likely going to be 18L X 48W X 21H. I am not quite sure of the water hardness in my area. I do not think it is hard in any way. I will try to find that out and update that information.

Thanks again for your help,

Eric

You can find that information on your water suppliers website.

18L X 48W X 21H.
Inches or Centimeters?

I think those will be inches since the tank is 75 gallons ;)

Hello and thanks for all of the replies,
Tank measurements are in inches. Also I tried to upload water quality information. Hope this helps.
Once again thanks for all of your help and input.

Attachments

• Paulding County Water System 2016 CCR Revised 170515_201705151204562656.pdf
    847 KB · Views: 86
Water quality reports don't contain hardness, unfortunately. I've googled your water company and done a search on their website for hardness but they don't seem to give it. So you can do two things - phone/email them to ask, making sure they give you the unit as well as the number (and ask for your alkalinity as well, that's what water companies call KH) or you can take a sample of your tap water to an LFS and ask them to test its hardness.

Thank you again,
I will research that and see what I can come up with. Thank you for your help.

Cheers!
Eric

Just wanted to say that Discus fish aren't a very friendly fish. I wouldn't get them in your tank, also what is the hardness of your water??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While we are waiting for your source water parameters (GH, KH and pH), I will comment on the proposed fish species listed in post #1 as you have some issues regardless of the parameters of the water.

Discus are shoaling fish that need a small group, minimum five or six. But, no angelfish, no silver dollars, no rainbowfish and no red tail shark.

Angelfish are also shoaling, so again a minimum of five or six, but none of the other fish mentioned.

Both discus and angelfish are cichlids, and that means territorial males. Pairs will possibly form, which brings other issues especially with angelfish. These are very complex topics in themselves, so I will move on.

Silver Dollars will work, but a larger group (shoaling species again). They also eat plants, being largely vegetarian, which may not suit you if live plants are intended.

All of the above fiish are on the largish side, which means finding tankmates needs some thought. They are also sedate fish, meaning possible targets for fin nipping, so tankmates have to be carefully selected here too. Temperature needs vary, discus need 82F up, many other fish cannot manage with this.

The Red Tail Shark is not a good community fish, thought this can work with carefully selected species. But it is not a fish I would recommend because other substrate fish like cories or loaches (which would bee nice in a tank this size) are out. And some upper level fish may be targeted.

All very general, but cautions galore.

Byron.

Just wanted to say that Discus fish aren't a very friendly fish. I wouldn't get them in your tank, also what is the hardness of your water??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While we are waiting for your source water parameters (GH, KH and pH), I will comment on the proposed fish species listed in post #1 as you have some issues regardless of the parameters of the water.

Discus are shoaling fish that need a small group, minimum five or six. But, no angelfish, no silver dollars, no rainbowfish and no red tail shark.

Angelfish are also shoaling, so again a minimum of five or six, but none of the other fish mentioned.

Both discus and angelfish are cichlids, and that means territorial males. Pairs will possibly form, which brings other issues especially with angelfish. These are very complex topics in themselves, so I will move on.

Silver Dollars will work, but a larger group (shoaling species again). They also eat plants, being largely vegetarian, which may not suit you if live plants are intended.

All of the above fiish are on the largish side, which means finding tankmates needs some thought. They are also sedate fish, meaning possible targets for fin nipping, so tankmates have to be carefully selected here too. Temperature needs vary, discus need 82F up, many other fish cannot manage with this.

The Red Tail Shark is not a good community fish, thought this can work with carefully selected species. But it is not a fish I would recommend because other substrate fish like cories or loaches (which would bee nice in a tank this size) are out. And some upper level fish may be targeted.

All very general, but cautions galore.

Byron.

Thank you for the info. I have not had these fish in my past experiences with fish keeping. Good things to know. I know for sure that I like the Silver Dollars. Those have caught my eye for quite a while but I never had a chance to get them. I guess I will try to find out some good choices that will get along with them. I do not plan on having live plants in the tank.
I am still trying to find out about the water hardness in my area. Hopefully I will find something out today.
Thank you to all of you here for the help.

Cheers!
Eric

I finally got some test results for my water supply.
GH measured in the 1 - 3.5 gpg or 17.1 - 60 milligrams per liter.
KH (1 drop) measured at the 17.9 ppm. range.

I hope this helps. Thanks for any input.

Eric

I finally got some test results for my water supply.
GH measured in the 1 - 3.5 gpg or 17.1 - 60 milligrams per liter.
KH (1 drop) measured at the 17.9 ppm. range.

I hope this helps. Thanks for any input.

Eric

Good, that is very soft water, so your selection of fish are appropriate. Most South American and SE Asian species are soft water. The mg/l unit is the same as ppm, so that is 17 ppm. This equates to 1 dGH. The units ppm and dH are most common in the hobby, and you can convert using 17.9 which is 1 dH. Multiply dH by 17.9 to find the equivalent ppm, or divide ppm by 17.9 to find the equivalent dH. I tend to use dGH, same as dH, just my preference.

Silver dollars are fine, in a larger group perhaps. With most shoaling fish species, more is always better when space allows.

Rainbowfish are not the best choice here, as the larger species prefer more moderately hard water, and the very small species that do occur in soft water would not appreciate being in with Silver Dollars.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back