Help With My Platys

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Jaden..

Reaction score
So I Have A Community Tank of Mollys And Platys I Have 2 Red Mickeys That are bigger then the new 2 ones i got both of them are breeding pairs but the bigger male will chase the smaller ones if it comes close to it and its mate does anyone know why this is.

Few questions-
1. M/f ratio
2. Tank size
3. Temperature
4. Parameters
5. Do you use a liquid test kit
6. How often do you perform waterchanges

Few questions-
1. M/f ratio
2. Tank size
3. Temperature
4. Parameters
5. Do you use a liquid test kit
6. How often do you perform waterchanges
2 Male 2 female 30g 80 5 no 6 every 2 weeks

That ratio is likely the primary reason he’s harassing some of the other fish. Platies need to have a 1:2 m/f ratio as the males will relentlessly harass the females and can get aggressive with other males when females are few.

The temp is really high for them as well, they should be kept around 76F. This may also be causing stress which in turn adds to the aggression.

What are the parameters? Sorry I didn’t quite understand how it was written, can you give it like this?
Ni:
Na:
A:

The primary issue is the lack of proper ratio, but added stress from bad parameters and to high a temp can also cause issues.

I’d also suggest considering buying a liquid test kit as they are significantly more accurate than the strips. Amazon actually has the api master test kit for $15 if your interested.

Mollies, platies, swordtails & guppies live in groups consisting of 20-50 females and a few males that follow the group. The females have a pecking order with the biggest females at the top and they bully the smaller females. A few males will hang around the group and try to breed with the females.

If you are going to keep livebearers, you should have males only or females only or have 1 male and at least 6 females.

The big ones are bullying the smaller ones.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back