Help with maths!!!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

cool_jool

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
:/ Hi I have just got a new kit for testing ammonia and nitrate levels. My kit quotes levels in mg/l you guys are always quoting ppm. I can not tell if the levels are OK!! How can I convert mg/l into ppm?
Levels are 0.1mg/l ammonia and 12.5mg/l nitrate. This is just before a water cyle which I tend to do on Friday evenings.
Thanks for any help cool_jool

I believe it is 1ppm to 1mg so if you are reading 7mg for nitrite it's 7ppm

0.1mg/l ammonia is ok

12.5mg/l nitrate is fine, mines 15 my tap water is 10mg. around 25mg is ok but 50mg or over is not good and needs a water change asap.

What's your Nitrite?

If its on the lower part of the color scale that comes with the kit, you are fine.

:) Thanks for the prompt response guys. I thought mg/l was the same as ppm - I am a chemistry teacher!! Just wanted to check - sometimes things are specific to subject. I have not got a nitrite kit, I thought if ammonia was OK and fish were also OK nitrite would take care of itself. Am I right? cool_jool

Nitrite is as important as Ammonia or nitrate (more so even as nitrate doesnt cause harm to fish unless in very high concentrations),i have often had nitrite spikes without any rise in Ammonia or nitrate (normally after over feeding :*) ).A PH test kit is another must have as during the initial weeks of setting a tank up PH can swing dramaticly and as a aquarium matures it will become increasingly acidic.

:) Thanks for the reply. The pH has been stable since I started - Birminghsm soft water does have its advantages - apart from making an excellent cup of tea! I will buy a nitrite testing kit and let you know. In thew last few minutes the algae eater has found the food and eaten it with vigour so perhaps all is OK. cool_jool

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back