Help with fin rot

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

minni323

Reaction score
Lincoln's fins are getting worse. I have Indian almond leaves and aquarium salt coming tomorrow. I've been changing his water everyday. His parameters are good 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and between 10 and 20 nitrates. All silk plants in his tank and his Christmas decorations The first pic is from a couple days ago. The rest are from this morning. Please help
e407fb346293886434ff032995283f04.jpg
6a703643d2d81aefe6ca7c5633980f2f.jpg
11bf965a6b63653f1d5e61767cda23b2.jpg
02df462060c112d48111fe4dfa05346c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

How much water are you changing every day? And are there and decorations that may be ripping his fins. Even though you have fabric plants, there can still be plastic parts to them. In your case, I think the rot is caused by some decoration in the tank. The bacteria of fin rot is an opportunist. It will infect a stressed fish or a fish with an injured fin. Because of you daily water changes, I think he might be getting to stressed along with something else in the aquarium ripping his fins. Can you please post a picture of your whole tank?

Last edited:
How much water are you changing every day? And are there and decorations that may be ripping his fins. Even though you have fabric plants, there can still be plastic parts to them. In your case, I think the rot is caused by some decoration in the tank. The bacteria of fin rot is an opportunist. It will infect a stressed fish or a fish with an injured fin. Because of you daily water changes, I think he might be getting to stressed along with something else in the aquarium ripping his fins. Can you please post a picture of your whole tank?
Friday i did a big water change, then yesterday and today i took out a gallon he is in a five gallon . This is a pic of his tank. He is a nipper, i have caught him nipping his fins
f4f21d5e66eae3756c69cbb70b491059.jpg

So on the bottom of the fabric plants, there is plastic leaves. I would cut those off. I definitely think that nipping his fins is part of the problem. When he keeps biting his fins, that just lets harmful bacteria in. I honestly don't know why your Betta is biting his fins, I have never seen it before. Maybe try putting some more LIVE plants in the tank to occupy him or move his decorations around.

So on the bottom of the fabric plants, there is plastic leaves. I would cut those off. I definitely think that nipping his fins is part of the problem. When he keeps biting his fins, that just lets harmful bacteria in. I honestly don't know why your Betta is biting his fins, I have never seen it before. Maybe try putting some more LIVE plants in the tank to occupy him

Fin rot is the direct result of poor water conditions, To cure finrot in 99% of cases all you need is lots of clean water at the right temperature.

You could also try a medication.
Really? What medication would you suggest?

Can you please answer the following questions.

How big is the tank?
Has it got a filter?
How strong is the current?
Is it cycled?
How often do you change water?
How much water do you change?
Do you vacuum the substrate?
What additives or chemicals do you use? Eg De Chlorinator?
Do you use tap or bottled water? If bottled water please give us the brand.
Do you have a water test kit?
Can you tell us the readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?
When you clean the tank can you tell us exactly what you do.
What do you feed him? how much? how often?

Bettas sometimes bite their fins for various reasons, Eg the current from the filter is too strong, This is not really a problem as long as the water is super clean.

I have 5 Betta females ( Sorority tank ) and there is always at least 1 girl that has a bit of fin damage at any given time but this isnt a problem to me the fin grows back in no time.

I would also remove the plastic Christmas tree and Santa, you have no way of telling if they are aquarium safe or not.

aquarium salt coming tomorrow.
Do not add it to the tank for now,

Regards
Nick.

To NickAu: Can't you use tetracycline?

To Mini323: my last post said you could use medications. Only use them if you really have to. I have only ever used medications when I had ick when I was new to the hobby. Haven't used them since.

To NickAu: Can't you use tetracycline?
I hever used it, I am not a fan of medications to cure stuff that can be cured easily by providing good water conditions.

I hardly ever recommend any type of medication stronger than salt ( Kosher is fine ) and clean water, Even when fish have ICH its easy to treat with heat and maybe some salt, if you do not see results of heat alone in 24 hours.

Last edited:
Fin rot is the direct result of poor water conditions, To cure finrot in 99% of cases all you need is lots of clean water at the right temperature.

Really? What medication would you suggest?

Can you please answer the following questions.

How big is the tank? 5 gallons
Has it got a filter? Yes
How strong is the current? Not strong at all i baffled it
Is it cycled? Yes, 0 ammonia and nitrite nitrates between 10 and 20
How often do you change water? Once a week
How much water do you change? About a gallon
Do you vacuum the substrate? Yes
What additives or chemicals do you use? Eg De Chlorinator? Tetra betta safe and stress coat
Do you use tap or bottled water? If bottled water please give us the brand. Tap
Do you have a water test kit? Yes api liquid
Can you tell us the readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? 0,0,10-20
When you clean the tank can you tell us exactly what you do. I don't siphon the gravel every week, if i am i will do the section i see him in the most and take out a gallon of water. I make sure the water i add back in temp matches the tank, add my dechlorinator and let it sit while I'm taking out the water then add it.

What do you feed him? how much? how often? Twice a day 4 omega one pellets and frozen blood worms twice a week

Bettas sometimes bite their fins for various reasons, Eg the current from the filter is too strong, This is not really a problem as long as the water is super clean.

I have 5 Betta females ( Sorority tank ) and there is always at least 1 girl that has a bit of fin damage at any given time but this isnt a problem to me the fin grows back in no time.

I would also remove the plastic Christmas tree and Santa, you have no way of telling if they are aquarium safe or not.

Do not add it to the tank for now,

Regards
Nick.

answers to your questions are above. I will remove the Christmas decorations. Im not sure why he is nipping but it has pressed to fin rot. Changing his water everyday has not helped.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back