Help With Baby Platies

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

gemz

Reaction score
Hello,
I woke up a few days ago to rather a lot of baby platies, I have a feeling both females have given birth, eeek!
I only have a 28L tank and don't have another to keep fry in, they seem to be surviving and hiding well
My question is, how long do I leave it before I can re-home them?
Thank you :)

They can be rehomed as son as you find someone to take them; they don't need to stay with their mothers or anything :)

In the meantime (and this is very important!) you'll need to do as many water changes as possible to ensure the fry grow properly. Livebearers (and a lot of other fish too, come to that) release a hormone into the water that stops the fish growing, once it gets to certain concentration. 50% daily would be good.

I know there is no attachment to mother my main reason for asking is because they are olny a week old and are teeny lol (cute)

I have been doing the water changes

Thank you :)

The platies are not as stable as some fish. I rehome mine at about two months old at the youngest. If you want to keep a lot of them I have a rule of three plates per gallon it seems to work fine. A some people don't like this rule and think it's bad. However from my experience three per gallon is a healthy rule. Probably shouldn't go over that though.

I have few other fish in the tank so don't really have the room for them to grow that big or keep a few which is a shame as I'm intreguied to see their colours (male is a sunset and females are mickey mouse)

They look really cool I have bred some that are half Mickey half sunset. It's a mix of both colors it's a unique orange color with usually specks of red. Wish I had a pic sorry I don't.

Am so glad I found this topic. I have moved my 2 adult platies and 5 surviving fry from a 30L (where I needed to do pwc every 5 days or so) to a 60L tank. Only set it up 2 days ago and doing daily water quality tests and so far so good. Had been wondering how many would be able to live comfortably in the new tank so the 3 to a gallon rule is very helpful - some advice found on google suggested 1" fish per gallon. My adults are 2" and 2½" so I'd have reached my stock limit now following that advice. Mum seems to be very fertile i.e 2 batches of fry in last 2 months with next brood possibly due in a week or so. Does anyone know if there is anything available to act as contraceptive without harming the fish?

I don't know if this would work but Maybe making the tank a bit colder or make the parameters a bit different could sway it. I'm no expert so you might wanna get a second oppinion

^^^^^^^^^^^
Could work as birth control

I know this is an older post... but I have solved this problem in one of my tanks. I have one platy who both hates other platies and keeps having babies. I moved her to the community tank (guppies and neons)... and with her last batch... when it was the due date I cut back feeding my tank quite a bit.... and a week later... there was only one lone survivor... decided it deserved to live since it didn't starve and didn't get eaten... so moved that one into my platy tank.

Female guppies who go a couple days without a full meal... are good at culling unwanted babies...

PrairieSunflower said:
I know this is an older post... but I have solved this problem in one of my tanks. I have one platy who both hates other platies and keeps having babies. I moved her to the community tank (guppies and neons)... and with her last batch... when it was the due date I cut back feeding my tank quite a bit.... and a week later... there was only one lone survivor... decided it deserved to live since it didn't starve and didn't get eaten... so moved that one into my platy tank.

Female guppies who go a couple days without a full meal... are good at culling unwanted babies...
My female adult platy isn't the least bit sentimental and it was like watching something out of the Deep Blue film when she had her last brood! Only 4 survived. It's dad who seems to be quite paternal which was not what I expected at all.

M4R13Y said:
I don't know if this would work but Maybe making the tank a bit colder or make the parameters a bit different could sway it. I'm no expert so you might wanna get a second oppinion

^^^^^^^^^^^ Could work as birth control

Mum is heavily pregnant again Should I wait til she's had this next batch and then reduce the temperature or do it now? The tank currently runs at between 24-25ºC or 75-76.5ºF - what's the safest way to reduce the temperature and what should I be aiming for to achieve a contraceptive effect?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back