Help why is my

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Bren

Reaction score
I bought a new male Fancy tailed guppie yesterday. this morning his tail is half shredded. I have in with him in my tank, 2 female guppies, 2 corys, 2tetras, 2 neons, 1 large algie eater. My tank tests all fine, the pet store checked evrything too. If you know what causes this please tell me,this is not the first time this has happened, but it has not hapeened for some time now.

from what I can see someone may have been nipping at him (not sure who though) either that or he may have caught it on something in the tank (eg decoration)

I'd bet a million bucks that the tetras are to blame.......not the neons the other ones. Use some melafix, and try seperating them if it gets worse.

As long as his entire tail isn't gone....he will survive.

I made the mistake of getting black widow tetras, the little b****d's had killed half of their tank mates within 2 days.

Make sure you keep the water quality as good as you can with regular changes to prevent rot setting in. I've lost a couple of guppies because of that.

Thank you to all who answered. I am sorry to say that my guppie did not survive. I think I will just wait before trying to add another male guppie to my tank. thanks again to all who replied.

I'm sorry to hear your guppy did not make it. Another cause of shredded fins for gups is hard water. This just destroys their nice tails, i know i have hard water :(
salt and Melafix helps with healing it, but obviously i wouldn't reccommend the salt if you have the hard water.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back