Help. Sick Swords

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Bob Strzelecki

Reaction score
Please help. I purchased a couple of Amazon swords about a month or so a go. My problem is that some of the older lease and the new leaves are skeleton. No flesh only ribs.
I use root tabs, Excel, Floriush, Iron, and trace elements. All my other plants are health and are thriving.
My lighting is Med to High and is on 8 hrs a day on a timer. I am injecting with co2 pressurized canister.

Attachments

• Amazon_Sword_2[1].jpg
    Amazon_Sword_2[1].jpg
    348.7 KB · Views: 249
okay so this seems to be a relatively common problem. it seems to be occurring when they are disturbed. my suggestion is to either clip the leaves. although they are not dead. or one could just monitor it and if it gets worse then we will look further into it.

First, what is your lighting? Be specific. Plants require light and nutrients in balance, and if any one factor is out of balance, problems may occur. Light intensity and spectrum are both important.

Second, you are adding too many additives and this too throws the balance out of whack. Excess of some nutrients can cause plants to shut down assimilation of other nutrients.

You are using diffused CO2, so there is no need to use Excel. This is glutaraldehyde, a highly dangerous toxin (it is used in hospitals to disinfect instruments, and in anti-freeze and embalming fluid) that will kill some plants even at the recommended dose, and if overdosed can kill plants, bacteria and fish. With CO2 there is certainly no benefit to using this product even if it were safe, which it is not.

What other plants are present? A photo of the entire tank will answer this easily. And what is the GH of the source water? This is one source of calcium and magnesium, two macronutrients.

Please help. I purchased a couple of Amazon swords about a month or so a go. My problem is that some of the older lease and the new leaves are skeleton. No flesh only ribs.
I use root tabs, Excel, Floriush, Iron, and trace elements. All my other plants are health and are thriving.
My lighting is Med to High and is on 8 hrs a day on a timer. I am injecting with co2 pressurized canister.
Amazon swords do lose their outer leaves my friend. They are grown emmersed (with only their roots in water) at the nursery. You can tell this because the leaf is on the end of a stem. When you plant a sword totally underwater, it reverts to the immersed (underwater) version where the leaves don't grow on stems but radiate from the crown. Simply break off the dead leaves and your sword will soon be blooming!!! ONE POINT TO BE AWARE OF THOUGH IS TO MAKE SURE THAT THE GROWING CROWN IS ABOVE THE GRAVEL AS IF IT IS BELOW THE GRAVEL, THE WHOLE PLANT WILL ROT!!! hope this is of help.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back