Help Sexing Angelfish

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

nanoinmiami

Reaction score
Dear all,

Foremost, I wanted to thank the members of this great forum for their invaluable help.

I haven't owned Angelfish in 17+ years but couldn't resist purchasing these two beautiful specimens. Hoping I purchased a male and female.
DSC_0080.JPG
DSC_0081.JPG
DSC_0082.JPG

Could any of you help me sex?

Thank you as always,

I'll use the text from Seriously Fish because it is so good...

Males have smaller, pointed genital papillae but this can only usually be seen when spawning. Behaviour may be a better indicator as males are likely to be more aggressive and territorial especially when in breeding condition.​

How they interact is the best clue.

Byron.

I'll use the text from Seriously Fish because it is so good...

Males have smaller, pointed genital papillae but this can only usually be seen when spawning. Behaviour may be a better indicator as males are likely to be more aggressive and territorial especially when in breeding condition.​

How they interact is the best clue.

Byron.

Thank you Byron!

Lordy those are some lovely angels, how old are they?
Aren't they, these beauties made me an Angelfish guy.

I have no idea. I actually purchased them in the Jack Wattley Discus store here in Miami, FL, USA from Gabe Posada who runs the store. I'll ask him and post.

Its not a 100% way of sexing but sometimes in Angels the males will develop a slight thickening on the forehead sort of like a nuchal hump but its not 100%.

However based on that I would say that in the top picture the fish on the left looks male and the one on the right could be female but it could also just be a sub male as if you have a group of males or 2 males like this the dominant one will develop the bigger hump (same with most cichlids)

Have a look at the fish in the tank and see what you think :) it can be a bit hard from photos to judge.

Wills

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back