Help! Possible Poisoning!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

sef

Reaction score
Hello,
I think my paradise fish, Chaucer, is suffering from some sort of poisoning and I'm desperate to know what to do. After finding a fish disease website site, I realized that his behavior matches what they describe as Poisoning:

1. Erratic behavior; swimming madly around, appearing disoriented
2. Scratching against aquarium objects
3. Gasping for air
4. Hiding

These symptoms developed gradually on Sunday; he had a water change on Saturday. He's in a 2.5 gallon cycling aquarium, and I have been performing 25-30% water changes every 2-3 days to keep ammonia and nitrites under control. Everything seems to test at 0 levels. Water temperature has been a steady 78 degrees. pH is a little high...it has been around 8.0 and I'm planning to do a very gradual switch to another water source, but at least it has been consistent.

After reading the description of poisoning last night, I immediately did a 50% water change, followed by another 25-30% and vacuumed the gravel. I also replaced the filter with a larger one containing activated charcoal.

This morning, Chaucer looks the same: floats quietly at the surface with no response to me, followed by sudden, rapid erratic swimming around the tank. I don't know what to do!!!

If it were poison of some sort (and I never use cleaners in or around the aquarium), would I see improvement in him after changing the water last night, or has the damage already been done?

I love this little fish; he has been the most friendly and interactive fish we've ever had, and that includes several bettas. I don't want to lose him, but it's starting to look like we may.

Can you give me any other advice whatsoever? Do you know if poisoning is "reversible"? Whatever may have been introduced in his tank during the water change on Saturday would have been in there Saturday, Sunday, Monday and most of Tuesday. The symptoms have gotten gradually worse.

At this point, would it be kinder to put him out of his misery? I don't want him to suffer...

Thank you for any help,
Sandra

i wish i could help, i tried looking on the internet for something to say what was wrong with your fishie. I'm sure someone will come alot with something to help you!! -_-

it sounds to me like it is the ph to high is what is causing the trouble and that tank is awful small I doubt if that will even cycle for you, I hope someone else can tell you how to get that ph down without using any chemicals.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back