Help Please.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

KRYSTALROSIE

Reaction score
On February 4th I purchased a 10 gl tank (just starting out small) and on the 8th I introduced my fish.
I had One Electric Yellow Lab
and One Pseudotropheus demasoni
now its almost 3 weeks later and all of a sudden the Electric yellow lab started darting around the tank, swimming upside down twirling around and eventually just died(he had been a shy fish and mostly stayed in his hut). I had been gone 30 minutes to go get peas, as the fish store told me he could be constipated and to try peas.
I removed him as soon as I got home and am worried that my other fish may die.

Please give advice?

Awww how sad
sad.png

Sorry I know nothing myself but I would imagine people here would need to know what your water parameters are/were.
Like ammonia , nitrites, P.H, temp and any other info like is it cycled, filter etc.

grr sorry i can't spell so have to edit it so i don't look so dumb.

Uncycled tank and overstocked are the key things here.

What were your water stats, do you have a testing kit? This day and age I highly recommend you to buy one so we can get more information of your problem.

I highly recommend you look over this to get a better understanding as to whats going on.

www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/224306-fish-in-cycling/

Also how often were you changing your water and cleaning your filter?

as techen says, the tank wasnt cycled and the type of fish you chose were completely inappropriate for a tank of that size.
what do you have in your tank in terms of decor?

Unless you used a bacterial additive (you'll know if you did), your tank is uncycled.  This means that your ammonia (very toxic chemical produced by fish waste and uneaten food) levels as well as nitrite levels (another toxic chemical) are too high.  You have to wait 4-6 weeks (if you add a bacterial starter this will considerably shorten your time; they are expensive, though) for the biological filter to mature.  It will then convert ammonia to nitrite to nitrate, which is much less toxic in small quantities.  The water changes that you do will take out the nitrate to keep the levels from becoming too high.
What I would do at this point is purchase a bacterial starter if you want to have the best chance of your fish living.  It will probably work in a couple days to about a week or two.  Cut down on the feedings (to minimize ammonia) and do large (25-50%) water changes daily.
I hoped this helped!
-CL95

bottled bacteria rarely gives you a fully cycled tank, they are, on the whole, a money wasting gimmick, you need to either,
1) return or rehome the fish you have and do a fish in cycle using ammonia or
2)  keep the one fish you have and do a fish in cycle or
3) use mature media from a established tank to kick start a cycle, either option requires a larger tank if you are set on this species
if you choose option 2 you need to do huge water changes daily 50-60% as the tank is too small and ammonia will build quicker, you will deffifately need a liquid based water test kit the API master kit is the most common
please read the link in my signature on cycling it will explain all you need to know, if you have any questions please ask

Thank you all for all the helpful information. I guess my facts on having a tank were very mislead by the pet store and i should have researched a lot more before purchasing my fish. but now that i have been set straight I am going to do everything differently (if this fish dies) and do huge water changes daily as advised. 

I will keep updates and if i have any more questions will ask.

as for decor i have a hut, sea shells, and two plants. this weekend I am going to buy more things (rocks, testing kits, different conditioner and live bacteria)
thank you all again.

Don't worry I did excactly the same thing and i think most people have at one time.
Pet store said add bottled bacteria, turn on the filter wait 24 hrs and then add fish.

If you can take that other fish back and do a fishless cycle then it would be far easier for you, believe me as I am 4 weeks into a cycle with fish and am pretty much doing 2-3 partial water changes every single day just to try and keep my fish alive and my ammonia leves down.

Well lots of really nice people here, so just keep asking anything you're unsure and read read read everything rather than getting it wrong.
Oh and make sure you use water dechlorinator everytime you add new water. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

phoenixgsd said:
bottled bacteria rarely gives you a fully cycled tank, they are, on the whole, a money wasting gimmick
I used bottled bacteria and it really worked for me.  Of course, it doesn't cycle the tank 'in 24 hours' like it says on the bottle, but after about a week my tank was cycled.

The ultimate best way to cycle a tank quickly is to get some established media, either from a friend or from a really nice LFS. Another bit of advice is never, ever listen to advice given by an LFS. Their goal is to make money, period.

I do hope you decide to return the fish to the LFS, not only to spare its life from an uncycled tank but also from being in a tank that's much too small.

Lots and lots of people here on the forum who can help you with stocking your current tank and all the steps in between. 

Glad you're here! 
welcomeani.gif

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back