Help odentifying

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Ksven

Reaction score
86BD61A9-7EF3-4E7C-ACA5-840EEE1C1DC8.jpeg
74E45663-485C-4FAF-B6E4-10D6AADD4FDA.jpeg
terrible photos but heā€™s in hiding mode.

red tail catfish. grows about 3ft for male, 5 ft for females. nocturnal predator, but lovely fish if you have a pond for them to live in.

I was afraid of that. Another one in the 55 work tank

How long have they had it for?

Under good conditions they can reach 2 feet long in 12 months.

It hasn't been fed properly then. It should be huge by now :)

It might not be a redtail catfish. There are a couple of smaller catfish that have a red tail and it might be one of them but without a side view of the fish I won't guess as to if it's something else. The tail definitely looks like a redtail catfish tho.

Do you know someone with a heated freshwater swimming pool?
see if they want it :)

D8683686-CC77-4FB4-A6F3-D3A5E7E51EF5.jpeg
It hasn't been fed properly then. It should be huge by now :)

It might not be a redtail catfish. There are a couple of smaller catfish that have a red tail and it might be one of them but without a side view of the fish I won't guess as to if it's something else. The tail definitely looks like a redtail catfish tho.

Do you know someone with a heated freshwater swimming pool?
see if they want it :)

The poor fish looks very undernourished :(

Here is a profile on the red tailed catfish http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/phractocephalus-hemioliopterus/

I was in one shop a few years ago which had a red tailed catfish in the largest tank they had, about 4 feet long. The fish was almost as long as the tank, and couldn't turn round. Someone had literally dumped the catfish on their doorstep and they were desperately trying to find a home for it. The shop closed a short while later so I never discovered what happened to the fish.

The poor fish looks very undernourished :(

Here is a profile on the red tailed catfish http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/phractocephalus-hemioliopterus/

I was in one shop a few years ago which had a red tailed catfish in the largest tank they had, about 4 feet long. The fish was almost as long as the tank, and couldn't turn round. Someone had literally dumped the catfish on their doorstep and they were desperately trying to find a home for it. The shop closed a short while later so I never discovered what happened to the fish.

I thought he looked off from the pictures I was seeing :( Iā€™m working on rehoming him and a few other fish that are too big for the tank just waiting for management approval. I have sent out to the local pet shops though asking if any of them can take him. Thanks for your help guys!

The poor little fish looks bloody awful, it is skinny as. Its body should be the same width as the head until it gets about half way down then it narrows.

Take some white bait and prawn in each day and give him a good feed. Build him up before transporting him anywhere otherwise he could die from stress. Just feed him up over a couple of weeks and get him back into condition, then move him.

358BAA0B-8555-49DF-9A47-758AA328357D.jpeg
Found a new home at our local pet shop that I get all my snakes from. Heā€™s going to be kept by the owner and is currently feeding away in a 70 gal feeder tank. He plans to put him in a 125 freshwater display tank and upgrade from there. Iā€™ll be going back periodically so Iā€™m excited to see how he does!

Also I did end up moving him today only because I guess they were going to windex clean the work tank. Safe to say I taped a note that Iā€™m the only one to maintain the tank

Put a note on the tank saying "No Windex or any other chemicals to be used on or near this aquarium".

Most reactions

Back