Help! Not sure if my Guppy has a Fungal infection or not

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

MaggieK

Reaction score
I noticed a day ago that one of my female Guppies has a couple concerning patches. The ones on the sides look more like flaky scales, and the one on top looks a little more raised? She also is not super active and is staying near or behind the heater in the top corner of the tank. Can anyone tell me what this may be?

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• F23E918C-FACB-49B6-8864-33EB38B2D65B.jpeg
    F23E918C-FACB-49B6-8864-33EB38B2D65B.jpeg
    278.1 KB · Views: 197
  • 431ED9A8-D497-493A-B5F2-ACCEAFCA6007.jpeg
    431ED9A8-D497-493A-B5F2-ACCEAFCA6007.jpeg
    310.5 KB · Views: 204
  • 232D5467-3065-4DDF-AF78-5A49EFA3E0DA.jpeg
    232D5467-3065-4DDF-AF78-5A49EFA3E0DA.jpeg
    368.6 KB · Views: 229
If this is too hard to make out in the photos, I can try to take more!

Hi and welcome to the forum:hi:

Could you please answer the following questions?

1. What size is the tank?
2. Did you cycle it?
3. What are the parameters of the tank? (pH, nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, etc.)

I few pictures up closer might help too : )

Here are a few links that may help you -

https://guppyexpert.com/guppy-diseases-parasites-remedies/

http://www.tetra-fish.com/learning-center/troubleshooting/fish-illnesses-how-to-spot-them.aspx (This one is by Tetra, so for every illness and whatnot, they recommend a tetra product. I recommend researching more : )

https://petponder.com/guppy-fish-diseases

http://www.fancyguppy.net/common-fish-diseases/

Hope this all helps!

The fish has what appears to be a bacterial and protozoan infection.

What is the water quality like (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH and GH)?

How long have you had the fish?
Have you introduced any new fish in the last 2 weeks?

-----------------------
Get a broad spectrum fish medication that treats bacterial, fungal and protozoan infections and treat the tank. If you have catfish, loaches or eels in the tank, then get a medication suitable for scaleless fish.

To work out the volume of water in the tank:
measure length x width x height in cm.
divide by 1000.
= volume in litres.
When you measure the height, measure from the top of the substrate to the top of the water level.

There is a calculator/ converter in the "How To Tips" at the top of this page that will let you convert litres to gallons if you need it.

Remove carbon from the filter before treating or it will absorb the medication and stop it working.

Before treating the tank, wipe the inside of the glass down with a clean fish sponge. Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate. Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. However, if the filter is less than 6 weeks old, do not clean it. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Increase surface turbulence/ aeration when using medications because they reduce the dissolved oxygen in the water.

Could use BOTH Melafix and Pimafix at same time - would cover both bases - bacterial and fungal

Unfortunately the fish passed away very quickly last night. I got all of the fish at the same time, only a couple of days ago (5 very small danios and the 3 guppies). The tank was cycled, but these were the first fish in the tank. Unfortunately I think the fish was already sick when I got it as it was acting stange from the minute I acclimated them to the tank. Do I still need to treat the rest of the tank or should I just keep an eye out for anything in the other fish?

Well... if it were me, I’d probably alternate 1 day Melafix - and the next Pimafix - etc for just a week

I’d probably do a good water change FIRST. - about 20%. Do a little stressguard after.Then once they’ve calmed down- Choose either one Pimafix or Melafix to start - I’d say depends on if it was fungus looking or if it was ripped fins or damage - those medicines are very mild and both have worked beautifully for me - start with one then alternate back and forth

I find those and nice fresh clean & warm water does wonders- don’t be afraid to do small waterchanges daily - like 10% before treatment - no need to compound the dosage -

Also some really nice food like some bloodworms hikari frozen works wonderfully
https://m.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=9035

I generally put a cube of that with a couple drops of fish liquid vitamins
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BS96V78/?tag=ff0d01-20

and 1 drop of kents marine garlic xtreme
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002DIZ84/?tag=ff0d01-20

let sit in dish to defrost in fridge covered - feed that evening OR if in hurry on counter in about 1/2 hr it’s ready

Good food
Low stress
Fresh clean warm water daily - I generally match the temp of tank
And some safe gentle meds super safe

Goes a long way :)

Warm water if fish appropriate... obviously warm water doesn’t work for goldfish etc.

Also obviously declorinated water :)

I just read guppies will overeat bloodworms so in moderation not everyday for sure... like a special treat

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I came home from work this evening and unfortunately this has definitely spread to the other guppies. The Danios seem totally fine, no issues at all but the other two guppies have spots now, the male worse than the female. Again, I tried to take some photos but I’m not sure how well you’ll be able to see

Attachments

• 91D62A88-6E2A-413C-ACC8-263841729AC6.jpeg
    91D62A88-6E2A-413C-ACC8-263841729AC6.jpeg
    795 KB · Views: 196
  • 05848E3A-E6F3-41AC-8564-8258C9062885.jpeg
    05848E3A-E6F3-41AC-8564-8258C9062885.jpeg
    242.9 KB · Views: 180
  • 26D46747-AD83-4FB4-889C-9DA1DA9CDFA0.jpeg
    26D46747-AD83-4FB4-889C-9DA1DA9CDFA0.jpeg
    812.1 KB · Views: 206
Yes it is spreading. The guppies would have been infected at the shop (they regularly are) and will probably die. You can try treating the tank but if you don't treat it in time the fish will probably be dead in a day or two.

If they do die, don't add any new fish for a month. And do a 75% water change and complete gravel clean each day for a week. Then monitor the remaining fish.

Guppies are regularly infected with bacteria and protozoa and die in shop tanks all the time because of this. The infections do not normally transfer onto other species in the same tank if the tank is clean. Big daily water changes help to dilute the disease organisms and reduce the chance of it spreading to the remaining fish.

Try treating them first and see what happens.

Keep the bodies in a plastic bag in the freezer and contact the shop and let them know the guppies you bought a couple of days ago are dying. See if you can get a credit for them and use it later on when things have settled down.

this is much more serious that Pimafix or Melafix is made for...

Perhaps an antibiotic not sure of which one perhaps others have a recommendation as I have not experienced this but I think you need something right away...

I have gone ahead and dosed both Melafix and Pimafix and hoping for improvement. Unfortunately I think it may be to far gone at this point, but I’d like to try my best anyway. It is really eating away at the males tale at this point.

I did not do one today, but I did a 50% water change before I medicated the tank

Poor guy, I don’t know what else to do

Attachments

• 3361113E-6B4C-4F6F-9E60-39F8249E5B42.jpeg
    3361113E-6B4C-4F6F-9E60-39F8249E5B42.jpeg
    627.3 KB · Views: 195
  • 2CFD4DEF-C347-4851-91D1-76F354D3A178.jpeg
    2CFD4DEF-C347-4851-91D1-76F354D3A178.jpeg
    289.3 KB · Views: 191

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online