Help new discus might be sick from store

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

PedroMV

Reaction score
i got 6 new discus around 4 cm lenghth and i dont know if 2 of the n hace itch ir is the color changing and other 2 have fungus in their face .

Attachments

• 6C8D5675-3E99-439D-87F9-EDCFD8EDC0BC.jpeg
    6C8D5675-3E99-439D-87F9-EDCFD8EDC0BC.jpeg
    769.2 KB · Views: 162
  • D2D2A888-C5B9-425F-9CF7-69D5AD882C94.jpeg
    D2D2A888-C5B9-425F-9CF7-69D5AD882C94.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 153
The spots seem too uniform on both fish to be whitespot (Ich). A few more pictures from different angles might help but I don't think they are whitespot. Even if it is whitepost you can raise the temperature to 30C (86F) and keep it there for a few weeks to kill any protozoan parasites (whitespot, velvet, Costia, Chilodonella & Trichodina) on the fish.

Chances are your water temperature is already pretty close to this anyway. If it isn't on 30C, just raise it up to 30C and keep it there for 2 weeks and then bring it back down to 28C.

---------------------
One of the discus is very skinny and I can see its backbone and should not be able to. If the fish was like that when you bought it you could return it and get another one. Alternatively you could try feeding it up and deworming it and see if it recovers. If the fish was bullied in the shop tank it will have lost condition and being at your house it should recover.

You can use Praziquantel to treat the fish for tapeworm and gill flukes. And you can use Levamisole to treat for round/ thread worms. Both of these medications are safe for all fish but need to be treated separately and done on a weekly basis for 3 weeks. The easiest way to do this is to treat with Praziquantel one day, wait 24 hours and do a 75% water change and gravel clean each day for the next 2 days. Then treat with Levamisole, wait 24 hours and do a 75% water change for the next 2 days. Then back to Praziquantel.

You need to do the water changes 24-48 hours after treating to remove the medication. Doing 2 big water changes should dilute the medication so the second dewormer can be used.

Treat once a week for 3 weeks so you kill off any worms that hatch after the first treatment.

It's a good idea to treat all the fish tanks in the house at the same time. This stops worms spreading from untreated tanks to the ones that have been treated.

---------------------
To work out the volume of water in the tank:
measure length x width x height in cm.
divide by 1000.
= volume in litres.
When you measure the height, measure from the top of the substrate to the top of the water level.

There is a calculator/ converter in the "How To Tips" at the top of this page that will let you convert litres to gallons if you need it.

Remove carbon from the filter before treating or it will absorb the medication and stop it working.

Wipe the inside of the glass down, do a 75% water change and complete gravel clean. And clean the filter before treating. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Increase surface turbulence/ aeration when using medications because they reduce the dissolved oxygen in the water.

---------------------
Make sure you feed the fish well on a variety of different food and feed them 4-5 times a day for a month and see how they go. A lot of frozen discus foods have beef heart in, do not feed beef heart to fish because they don't digest it very well. Use prawn, fish and normal things found in rivers. Monitor the water quality and do regular gravel cleans and water changes to keep them happy.

Thank you the snakesin has pattern imperfección from what ive been told its called sugar effect.

The melons dots i thiught it was ich it resultes to not be White the y silver when. The light spots them
Im going to raise the temperatura to make sure in case they have it Also in going to give by hand extra food to the week melón todas i fed 3 diferent comercial food and all of them ate but im going to give shrimp and Worms to the week Onés Here mote pics.

Attachments

• 217E3D4E-3EE9-41C5-9AB3-200D4D7B3594.jpeg
    217E3D4E-3EE9-41C5-9AB3-200D4D7B3594.jpeg
    565 KB · Views: 162
  • 4FE6BC19-6DCE-4B10-B015-B268EC6E4426.jpeg
    4FE6BC19-6DCE-4B10-B015-B268EC6E4426.jpeg
    535.1 KB · Views: 165
On image 89070 the fish has 3 pale purple dots on the edge of the gill cover, which is just colouration. However, there is a small white dot slightly to the left of them at the base of the pectoral (side) fin. That white dot is not whitespot but might be something else. Does the fish have the same white spot on the other side of the body?

Yes and i realised both of melón. Have the dame” dots” and spots at same place both sides of body (they same breed lot)

If they have the same spots in the same place then it is nothing to worry about. :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back