Help! My Platy Is A Bully!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

briezzy22

Reaction score
Hi All,
I have a green lantern platy who just seems to be a bully. He sometimes chases and nips at some of my other platys, but he absolutely torments my 2 Neon Dwarf Gouramis. The gouramis frequently hide from the platy but the platy eventually finds them and starts picking on them again. This platy is young (under an inch long) and the Dwarf Gouramis are about an inch and a half but are a much larger fish. The Gouramis are the most recent addition to the tank so I initially thought this behavior might resolve itself but its been about a week and the platy is still bullying and picking on gouramis. This is a very well established 100 gallon tank with no problems with ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite levels. I have listed my tank info as well as my current fish below. Any advice on what I can do to stop this platy from being such a bully? I really dont want to rehome him if i don't have to :-(

Tank: 100 gallons
Filtration: 2 marineland c360 canister filters
Aeration: 1 bubble bar
Decor: plastic/silk plants, rocks, logs (lots of hiding places)
Plants: floating amazon frogbit
Substrate: gravel
Fish: 2 juvenile angel fish, 6 adult pink zebra danios, 6 juvenile platys (mixture of green lantern, sunset, and red wag), 10 adult neon tetras, 2 one inch flame dwarf gouramis (the platy leaves them alone), and 2 one and a half inch neon dwarf gouramis (these are the ones being picked on)

Dwarf gourami are timid and often bullied. They are prone to getting their filaments nipped off and taking ill. In my experience there are three things you can try.

1. Alter the aquascape so that there are tall plants (or fake ones) that the gourami can hide in. If this doesn't work do one of the below.
  2. Remove the Platy from the tank
  3. Remove the gourami from the tank
In a 100 gallon tank you should be able to create a zone where the gourami can hide off at one end. That's a big tank so that there is this aggression at all is an indication to me that the platy might just have to go.

I didn't notice bullying until my poor guy was so nipped up he couldn't swim. I got rid of the offending fish and all has been ok.
I know it's painful to let one go, but you don't want to let your gouramis be bullied to death either.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back