Help! My Neons Kept Missing!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

AquaPit

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi! I am really worried about my missing Neon Tetras! I have a strong suspicion that one of the fish is eating them alive! Pls help!!

History:
1) bought 15 Neons
2) 1 Died
3) usually after water change, 1 will be missing!
4) not because it got sucked in or anything, I have checked
5) then after a few days, another went missing!
6) it kept going the same pattern
7) now left 9 neons!

Fishes:
1) 3 Red Zebra Danios
2) 1 Koi Swordtail
3) 2 Balloon Blue Rams
4) 5 Corys
5) 1 Chinese Algae Eater

Pls help!!

How big is your chinese?  The species does have a tendency to go after fish when they get larger.  Especially when the algae food source in the tank gets low.

my CAE is about 5-6cm... medium sized body, more towards the leaner side.. do u tink its the CAE?? And yes, algae is near a non-existent state in my tank.. just one live plant though.. the rest fake plants, one canary wood and few pebbles.. thecm only.. neons are max at 2-2.5
and my CAE is not aggressive at all.. i suspect its the Balloon RAms.. *sigh* i feel so helpless..
I am also wondering whether my above said fishes have any history of eating small fishes??

At that size it shouldn't be the CAE not until it is more than double that size.  I would be putting algae pellets into your tank for the CAE though.  They do get larger and more aggressive as they get older.  I don't find it likely that it is the Rams.  I've never kept them though so I could be wrong.  It is possible that the Danios are stressed due to a small school size and see a large school of new fish as a threat.  I hope someone else can jump in soon and point out something I''m not thinking of.  

What size tank are all of these fish in and what it the availability for cover and hiding places?

how big is the tank? size matters.. heh..with the number of fish you have in there.
if the tetras can fit into any of the other fish's mouths then look at the weight, if they look pulp and fat then there is your go
they could have jumped out, did you look around the tank? if not then do.

also if you say that you miss one every water change then are you not treating the water? if not then one or more will die because of this and the algae eater isn't getting fed, will eat it.

what are the stats of your tank?
cycle etc etc.. give more information on the environment that you have your fish in.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back