Help My Fish Keeps Floating About On His Side

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

LittleEmma16

Reaction score
my shubunkin keeps floating about on his side and just seems really lethargic! one min hes fine swimming about normally the next hes jut rolling on either side and i dont know what to do, i dont know what is wrong with him and its so dis-stressing to watch. its like hes lying there lifeless but alive.

i saw something on the net about 'burping' fish, and altho it says just to avoid doing this unless the fish is failing, as hes pretty bad i thought id try it, but i was too scared to gentley squeeze where it told me to, and when i tried and kind of managed to run my finger up his belly as instructed he just wriggled out my hand!

what else can i do??? i dont think hes gonna make it to next week let alone through the night!

Try not panicing, it only makes it worst. Trust me, I've gone through what you're going through. (Honestly, I think goldfish have lots of health issues)

There might be something wrong with his tummy. Are all the levels where they're supposed to be?
I think it's like--bloat or swim bladder, something having to do with his tummy. Check out this website.
www.goldfishconnection.com

Causes of Swim Bladder Disease

•Constipation
•Overfeeding
•Birth defects or injury
•Bacterial infection
•Poor aquarium water quality
•Stress

Swim Bladder Disease Treatment

•If possibly constipated – Feed Peas as they can work well for swim bladder issues caused by constipation. It’s though that the peas simply destroy any blockage by inpaction.
•Keep your fish on a diet for a few days, possibly 3 or 4 days.
•Aspiration of the swim bladder by insertion on tiny needle.
•Change your aquarium water and clean filter as a preventive method if possibly caused by bacteria.
•Antibacterial medication can be found for this in a local pet store as swim bladder problems can be caused by bacterial infection.
•Raising the water temperature.
•Addition of aquarium salt to the water.

thank you for replying :)

unfortunately he died in the night :sad:

Sorry for the loss of your goldfish. Was he the last one left in the tank? Hopefully in the future the others will survive. :)

:rip: unlucky mate my siamese fighter had swim bladder disorder my dad was about to flush him so i said no im putting him in the bucket so i filled the bucket a quarter of the way up stuck a filter and spare heater in and put him in the tank 3 days later and he is even more active and swimming normally.:good:

WOW, your fish got better in 3 days living in a bucket? Whenever I put my fish in a bucket, they change colors... :(

yeh i know i put a bunch of harlequins in one and they turned green for the day. :lol:

I get scared when my fish turn colors too. Mine don't turn green or blue. They just lighten in color. The calico ryukin goldfish turns albino calico. She's so pretty when it happens, scares me to death, though. I won't have to worry about it, my uncle is picking my fish up later today. They'll be happy in a 75 gallon (US). :D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back