Help! My 5 Year Old Clown Loach Is In Trouble!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Gadgetman1805

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello All I was wondering if anyone can help me!

I have had the same family of clown loaches (7) in total for almost 5 years. and the biggest (aka. tiny) has been the forefront of the clown loach family for the whole time. Can anyone help me as how to make him better. He looks like he has had a fight for pecking order? im not sure. This has never happened in the entire time that i have had this clown.

he looks as if his spike has been ripped out and has chunks taken out of his head. I cant think what other fish would do this as i have two plecs which have lived with them for the 5 years and also only danios and tetras. None have shown aggression to one another.

He is currently in a fluval 260l with eheim 2028 running and also the fluval fx5 running.

Here are the pics it is very unusual for him to be out at all! he lives in a gigantic cave! and never comes out unless there is something wrong.

He is still moving okay albeit a little slower.

PLEASE CAN SOMEONE PROVIDE ANY ADVICE??

2mo5zrb.jpg

foqib4.jpg

28vzi9.jpg

2uigqqh.jpg

2hcoz0m.jpg

This looks more like HITH (hole in the head disease) than injurys caused by fighting, fight injurys usually look more like scratches on clown loach

This looks more like HITH (hole in the head disease) than injurys caused by fighting, fight injurys usually look more like scratches on clown loach

thanks for getting back to me was doing a bit research and came up with the same thing. any idea on how to help him?

Hi Mate never had the disease, but i did a google search and found this
http://www.worldcichlids.com/diseases/Adamhith.html

hope things work out

i would start out by treating with melafix to prevent infection but im sure someone can come along and help you with the holes.

I agree, it looks like Hole in the head (HITH)

HITH usually occurs from poor water quality over long amounts of time.. So I hope you don't mind me asking but the basics will be helpful here, as it may help your fish.

What are your tanks current water readings?? (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph, gh, kh)
How often do you water change?
Do you gravel vac when changing?
Do you clean your filter media in tap water or tank water?

I would think that someone who has had the same fish for 5 years knows a little something about maintenance. But what do I know.

I would think that someone who has had the same fish for 5 years knows a little something about maintenance. But what do I know.

You`d think so but unfortunately that isn`t always the case. There have been people who have joined who have had fish for years yet they have no idea how to have to have a cleaning regime in place :no:
The questions that FreedomFighter has asked are important to determine the problem and help treat it if possible :)

As said above, the basics are needed in this situation.

You check the basics, see if there's an obvious problem, if not, move on to the more advanced questions and possibilities.
I mean no offence by asking for the basics, but there is a time and a place for everything.

I see your point it's just clowns require great water quality and to have them for five years, but you're right, start with basics.

By the way, what can you do to help with HITH. Water changes I guess, It is something I have never seen first hand and hope never to.

i've never personally had HITH, but it involves cuts right? it will only get worse if there is no melafix in there and the chances of secondary infection skyrocket every day left untreated

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back