Help me identify my cichlids??

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Mamaorca77

Reaction score
Hey guys, so after debating back and forth and a few tank moves, etc, I took the leap today and went to buy 2 African cichlids. My lfs only had the tank labeled as "African cichlids" no breakdown of what was what. So, I'm scrolling thru Google because I like knowing who is who in my tanks and if anyone is going to have issues, which I doubt since these guys/ladies (another question, how do you tell with these beauties who is who?) were all together in the store and didn't seem to mind, nor do they seem to mind in my tank, so far. Anyways, any help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20180629_182503.jpg
    20180629_182503.jpg
    568.3 KB · Views: 450
  • 20180629_182522.jpg
    20180629_182522.jpg
    341.5 KB · Views: 427
  • 20180629_182529.jpg
    20180629_182529.jpg
    534.1 KB · Views: 451
  • 20180629_182749.jpg
    20180629_182749.jpg
    487.3 KB · Views: 427
Oh, obviously I bought 4 even tho I intended on getting 2. The guy took too long coming to bag my 2 and I fell in love with the other 2! Lol

I hope you don't have those cichlids in a general community tank?
They are African Rift Lake cichlids that require hard water and they get agro when mature.

picture 182503 looks like a female Pseudotropheus lombardi
picture 182522 looks like a male Pseudotropheus Lombardi. If they are Lombardi, they are real nasty when they mature.
picture 182529 looks like an Pseudotropheus acei, relatively peaceful for a rift lake cichlid.
picture 182749, not sure, maybe Pseudotropheus crabro.

It's not a South American convict (Cichlasoma nigrofasciata), or is convict a common name for an African Rift Lake cichlid?

No sir, Colin! Thanks to you lovely people and tons of research, I knew better! They are in their own tank. I had somebody tell me the 1st 2 are male and female kenyi, the acei is the 3rd and the 4th is a zebra obliquiden. Idk if kenyi is a common name for what you said, but it appears that I do in fact have a pair and that they very likely will be more aggressive if they spawn..so, either the lovely lady is going to be rehomed or moved to another tank as soon as possible! I'm loving these guys already..such personality! Working on getting a 30g cycled for my live bearers so that these lovelies can have my 50. And going to totally redecorate for them with sand and caves, I checked out what Lake Malawi is like irl, and working towards giving them an environ as close to their home as possible! At this rate, I'm gonna run outta room for tanks, because I'm loving all the different types of tanks I could have and can't seem to pick a fave! Lol

Mikey, I actually looked into convicts and rams. The only issue was finding rams locally, and the lack of color with convicts. I'm all about a mix of color! Lol these are DEFINITELY African, so convict is not an option, unless as Colin stated that is a common name. I'm seriously debating going back and getting a cpl more they had in the African tank. They had a solid orange, a few more acei (which I think are stunning!) And a cpl with horizontal stripes..all such beauties, but until I'm 100% on sexing and mixing, I'm hesitant. After 24 hrs, these guys have gotten along well, a bit of chasing, but nothing serious.

according to Dr Googly on the interweb thingy, Kennyi is the common name for the fish I called a Lombardi, which they now call lombardoi. These are an interesting fish because the males of most zebra type cichlids are blue. But in the Lombardi/ lombardoi the female is blue and the male is yellow. They are mouth brooders and the females incubate a small number of eggs in a buccal pouch (expandable skin under their mouth).

Pseudotropheus obliquidens brings up information about Astatotilapia latifasciata, which is not what you have. You have a Pseudotropheus (aka zebra, mbuna cichlid). They are all pretty nasty :)

Lake Malawi is simply white sand (beach sand works well) and limestone and sandstone rocks.

If you are running out of space and you own your home, build a fish room or at least make double tier stands. You get two tanks (one above the other) utilising the same space. Twice as many tanks :drool:

If you want a mixture of cichlids get all the same sex. Then they won't breed and there is less agro. They will all hybridise too so having females of one species will cause males to fight over her.

A couple of better pics of the one we're not sure on. He's a beauty, I can't catch his colors good, but the tips of his dorsal fin are bright green and as u see, he's got an orange tint to him, as well as an orange glow to his eyes

Attachments

• 20180630_155617.jpg
    20180630_155617.jpg
    553.9 KB · Views: 437
  • 20180630_155629.jpg
    20180630_155629.jpg
    615.7 KB · Views: 434
Oooh Colin, that would work! So, it seems that I'm great at picking aggressive fish! Lol Do you think I should worry about the acei?! You said, and I've read, they are more peaceful than kenyi and the zebra mbuna...

maybe it isn't a zebra. Does it have a dip in the top of its head? if yes it will need feeding up.

acei should be ok if there are plenty of hiding places.

if the shop has a cichlid that is black with blue horizontal lines or yellow with black horizontal lines, it is probably a Pseudotropheus auratus and they are pretty agro too.

Not seeing a dip on his head. And yeah, the one at the shop was yellow with black horizontal lines...so, I guess he's out! I was hitting Google again, and the zebras don't really look like him..hmm.. As for sexing cichlids, so I got the kenyi is blue female/yellow male. Any ideas on the acei and whatever the other dude is?

No idea on sexing acei, from what I recall, most people buy a group of 8-10 of them and let a male take over and kill the other males and breed with the females :)

I was never into Lake Malawi cichlids due to their aggression. I had a few from Lake Tanganyika and some of the softwater ones from the rivers in Africa but they are hard to get. One of my favorites from soft acid water was Pelvicachromis subocellatus from Moanda. They have a dark brown body and the females get a pink patch on their side and it is surrounded by a silver white edge. They breed pretty readily too which makes me wonder why I can't buy them :)

I was really hoping for rams for the same reason (not as aggressive) but these guys were my son's fave and a bit cheaper, which with all the cash I've put out lately, is a plus! If i manage to find some rams or less aggressive ones nearby, I will def be looking into doing what u suggested on the tanks! Lol I just found a deal on a 20g to separate my live bearers into more comfortable groups, so the 50 should be free soon, and I still have my 30 cycling, so it could be an option for rams or something similar..

Oh, and I'm starting to wonder if maybe that fish is some kind of hybrid? Because I can't find anything with his coloring and stripe pattern/head shape, etc..he is truly a cool looking fish, and seems to hold his own with the kenyi

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back