Help Me Diagnose A Sick Congo Tetra

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Eddy UK

Reaction score
Hi,Could anyone help me diagnose a sick Congo tetra.I've recently had to remove a troublesome molly which killed two Rainbows by putting them under massive stress - this little molly was one mean b*gger.Its now be re-homed.But now within 4 days one of my Congo's has lost a lot of its colour and has a white patch behind its dorsal fin. It looks as if its scales have become infected but i am no expert in diagnosis.Can anyone help...?If its helps i have just undertaken my regualr 20% water change and everyone else in the tank seems ok...Attached are two closeups of the infected area - please not that the bright colour of the fish is artificial and created by my flash.Cheers EddyAnd here it is again from another angle:

Attachments

• IMG_7664.jpg
    IMG_7664.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_7665.jpg
    IMG_7665.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 159
Hi Eddy - I think its a fungal infection, unless someone else knows better. Maybe get some protozin - waterlife (The one for fungal) or the interpet one.

Can anybody else confirm this plz ?

Does the patch look fluffy as columnaris can soon attack a fish under stress.

It doesnt look fluffy at all - more like the scales have bleached and gone "flacky" - i'm really lost as what is best to do

What you are describing can be parasite to bacterial.
Is the fish flicking and rubbing against ojects.
What do the gills look like.

I've seen that few times before on fish in an LFS, seems to be an internal bacterial infection. I would suggest isolating, to help prevent further contamination in your tank.

How often do you perform water changes?

What you are describing can be parasite to bacterial.Is the fish flicking and rubbing against ojects.What do the gills look like.
Gills look normal - quite healty and redThe fish isnt rubbing itself insted its just sat a few inch from the surface in one corner.Thanks for your time so far.Eddy
I've seen that few times before on fish in an LFS, seems to be an internal bacterial infection. I would suggest isolating, to help prevent further contamination in your tank.How often do you perform water changes?
Usually every other week but sometimes every week.Usually about the same amount each time ~20%HTHEddy

As long as the gills are not red and inflamed.
Enlarged the pic is there a patch of white with a red centre as that can be an ulcer.

Were the tainbows sick as a fish will attack a fish if its unwell sadly enough.

I forgot its a congo tetra it looks washed out.
Any excess slime on the fish.
Do you keep neon tetra.

Can we take a look at your water statsi in ammonia,nitrite,nitrate,and ph.

Its getting late and i'm off in a minute.
If no flicking I would go in with myxazin and pimafix.
Increase aeration and remove black carbon if you use it.

As long as the gills are not red and inflamed.
Enlarged the pic is there a patch of white with a red centre as that can be an ulcer.

Were the tainbows sick as a fish will attack a fish if its unwell sadly enough.

I forgot its a congo tetra it looks washed out.
Any excess slime on the fish.
Do you keep neon tetra.

Can we take a look at your water statsi in ammonia,nitrite,nitrate,and ph.

Increase aeration and remove black carbon if you use it.
Sorry just realised its past 1am here - i'll reply in the AM. Thanks for your reply

Eddy

Ok good luck.

As long as the gills are not red and inflamed. I had a look this morning and the gills look more open then my other congo - they are red but only as they would normally be
Enlarged the pic is there a patch of white with a red centre as that can be an ulcer. No red patch just white

Were the tainbows sick as a fish will attack a fish if its unwell sadly enough. Rainbows had a slight white mark on the centre of their jaw which i thought was just part of their usual colouration but it could now be something else - two have died from molly attacks but the two remaining ones still have the white mark - it hasnt changed at all

I forgot its a congo tetra it looks washed out. V. sad and washed out
Any excess slime on the fish. More white (not spots) has appeared on a few of its fins
Do you keep neon tetra. Yes but not in the same tank

Can we take a look at your water statsi in ammonia,nitrite,nitrate,and ph. Will do tonight when i get home

Increase aeration and remove black carbon if you use it. Aeratiobn is good but i will remove the carbon and start a course of medication (what i dont know yet!)

Thanks for your interest

Eddy

Just to rule it out has any of your neons ever died of ntd.
If the fish is not flicking I would go the bacterial route, Swollen gills can be bacterial to parasites.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back