Help Identifying Platy Fish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Cameo2002

Reaction score
I have always wondered what "color" or morph my platy fish is. I have had it for about a year now. It was bought from a local pet store and to this day I have not seen one like it. I snatched it up when I first saw it because like I said I have not seen anymore like this. I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out what he/she is. I'm pretty sure it's a male. It's yellow and orange, but has blue-ish looking stripes on his back.

I don't know either, I've only seen those colors the other way around, darker towards the tail, lighter towards the head.

It is a very pretty platty and striking in its colouration.
Can't say I have seen the orange and yellow in that order before its usually yellow at the front and orange at the back.
Depending on where the shop sourced the platty from will help deternine the platty possible parentage and possibly a way of recreating the colour. If it was locally sourced then a person may have been breeding for that particular colour morph or it could have come about by some chance genetics. Knowing how outcrossed platties and swordtails are there is a good chance it is the product of such a cross somewhere in its heritage.

I'm guess he is just a cross, but he came from Pet Supply Plus. They just had all kinds of platies stuck together in one tank. So I have no idea if a pair in that tank created him, it is kinda neat to find out your fish isn't that common to see. Thank you for trying to figure out what he is :)

His body shape and face shape is all wrong for just a platy. My money would be on him bring a hybrid, hence the odd coloration :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back