What's new

Help Identify Betta

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

Whisp

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I am new here and new to owning Betta fish and am confused as to what type of Betta fish I might have.
When I got him from the pet store they marked him as a half moon tail Opal Betta Male, well I can't find any information on the breed of a Opal Betta?
So I asked someone who knew Betta fish better then me and they said he looked like a Cellophane and I looked them up and was thinking that might be it.

Well now its 5 days into having him and I noticed black marks on his fins and sides, which quickly made me think he was sick.
Upon closer inspection I noticed it flashed a shiny blue in the light and he was growing some colour and it was blue on him not black.
Im glad he is not sick but I was wondering if any of you experienced Betta owners know what type he is and if he is not a Opal then what is a Opal Betta?

Pic 1&2) When I first got him he was white and translucent.
51xzsl.jpg

1zf3amx.jpg

IMG_20171209_132821_zpsrpfbhzqi.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]pic 3) A shot of him translucent, no light used (before blue)
2hr318g.jpg

4,5&6) A shot of him still white that I took to show my friends.
35hmgxy.jpg

2hzlca9.jpg

25a0n7k.jpg

pic 7&8) A shot of him with the blue marks on the fins and lower mid sides of body. They don't show all the spots and are hard to see when not zoomed in.
My camera quality sucks but he has blue on the mid fins top and bottom on his mid lower sides of body, more prominent in person.
2l8ff5l.jpg

2v0g510.jpg

I hope this is in the right place as I did not see the option on where I'd like to place my post.
I hope I got the photo thing right as it would show what I mean.

I'd say he is a marble delta tail and a very nice one at that! you should find he gets much more blue in colouration and will appear a different fish! that is why I love marbles :wub: please keep us updated on the colour changes.

Oh he is very nice.

Oh he is very nice.
I'd say he is a marble delta tail and a very nice one at that! you should find he gets much more blue in colouration and will appear a different fish! that is why I love marbles :wub: please keep us updated on the colour changes.

Thank you guys!
I was so confused when I bought him as to why he wasn't what they said and was worried if he was so k and all

Is their a time frame on colorization? As in is their a set peak time from when he starts showing colour to when he will probably reach his true permanent one?
So far the blue has only gotten more profound but I think I seen very light yellow in him ,(not sure) I am not sure if the blue is spreading more either
Does it take weeks or months to find out, or will I know if he will get anymore ( different,) colours by the end of the month(s)?

Sorry to ask so much I am 100% new to Betta owning and starting off with a Betta that was wrongly marked at the store does not help because I feel like the less I know about his type the more likely I will male mistakes.
Like how at first In thought the marbling was a sign of sickness and didn't know he was getting colour because I was told he was Opal and was suppose to be white lol jokes on me on that one

Sorry to ask so much I am 100% new to Betta

Don't be sorry for asking questions.

I would get some more plants including floating ones, that tank looks a bit bright.

Is their a time frame on colorization?
Not that I am aware of.

My Betta seems to change color according to light and mood.

Don't be sorry for asking questions.

I would get some more plants including floating ones, that tank looks a bit bright.

Not that I am aware of.

My Betta seems to change color according to light and mood.

Thanks I do plan to get more plants. I had a Lil floaty ball but he seemed to ignore it :/
I am not fond of how bright the light either.
However if I put a lower voltage one will it burn up? Can you use lower ones with the same lid or do I have to buy a new lid?

Your Betta is beautiful! I love the white and yellow mix, it reminds me of Ivory and Gold.
Then he went all yellow, i was in awe of amazement because it looked like a completely different Betta!
You have a very interesting Betta indeed I never seen that before.

Now my Betta has bottom more blue and his head is yellowish and he now has pale yellow on his fins too BUT the yellow is hard to see and my tablet camera is not too good, so you can't see the yellow or the patterns well but he has gotten more blue and all.
ezpj0o.jpg

2my70iv.jpg

Hope these pics show up.

Holy Cow he's so gorgeous and looks like he's really going to be spectacular! I can't wait to see what he becomes!
When you get some plants maybe add some floating plants to block some of that light :)

Holy Cow he's so gorgeous and looks like he's really going to be spectacular! I can't wait to see what he becomes!
When you get some plants maybe add some floating plants to block some of that light :)

Working on trying to get him a better tank so I can do all this but my Husband loves the blue and is wanting to take him from me:(
We're married so obviously I'll still have him, it just mean I get to have 2 fishys's now:fish::)lol
He has gotten a lot more blue and I removed the pink background to watch him colour better.

29zpgch.jpg

Hi!!! It looks like both you and I have the same kind of betta! in terms of tail, shape, texture/color, iridescence, etc. Check out the latest pics I just posted of mine!

I am also seeking help in identifying my little guy! to me, it is not a Delta, not a Half Moon. Certain forums refer to him as "cellophane" others as "marble" or "iridescent"

If you can't see the pics I shared of him, I can send them to you! they must be siblings! they are very alike yours and mine. First time I am able to find another betta that looks like mine!

-Laura

Hello everyone!
I am new here and new to owning Betta fish and am confused as to what type of Betta fish I might have.
When I got him from the pet store they marked him as a half moon tail Opal Betta Male, well I can't find any information on the breed of a Opal Betta?
So I asked someone who knew Betta fish better then me and they said he looked like a Cellophane and I looked them up and was thinking that might be it.

Well now its 5 days into having him and I noticed black marks on his fins and sides, which quickly made me think he was sick.
Upon closer inspection I noticed it flashed a shiny blue in the light and he was growing some colour and it was blue on him not black.
Im glad he is not sick but I was wondering if any of you experienced Betta owners know what type he is and if he is not a Opal then what is a Opal Betta?

Pic 1&2) When I first got him he was white and translucent.
51xzsl.jpg

1zf3amx.jpg

[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]pic 3) A shot of him translucent, no light used (before blue)
2hr318g.jpg

4,5&6) A shot of him still white that I took to show my friends.
35hmgxy.jpg

2hzlca9.jpg

25a0n7k.jpg

pic 7&8) A shot of him with the blue marks on the fins and lower mid sides of body. They don't show all the spots and are hard to see when not zoomed in.
My camera quality sucks but he has blue on the mid fins top and bottom on his mid lower sides of body, more prominent in person.
2l8ff5l.jpg

2v0g510.jpg

I hope this is in the right place as I did not see the option on where I'd like to place my post.
I hope I got the photo thing right as it would show what I mean.

That video is the weirdest thing I have ever seen! It"s so strange, yet cool!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back