Help Identify Amano Shrimp

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

skaquarium

Reaction score
Hi,

I have recently purchased 2 pairs of Amano Shrimps from the LFS here in Kolkata, India.

Someone has suggested that these might not be Amano at all. 

I have attached the pic. Request help in identifying whether it is indeed Amano or not.

Regards

Attachments

• IMG_0380_c.jpg
    IMG_0380_c.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 593
I would have expected an amano to have more markings down its side, but it does look like an amano nonetheless.

From that photo, it doesn't look like it has large pincer limbs, which would indicate that is was a macrobrachium shrimp, not an amano.

That picture does look indeed like a Amano Shrimp to me

http://www.planetinverts.com/Amano%20Shrimp.html

Perhaps your friends was thinking something like Glass or Grass Shrimps, which does a little similar but really not look like that pic imho.

http://www.planetinverts.com/ghost_glass_grass_shrimp.html

Or as worst case scenario would be a Machrobachium as TLM mentions

ScreenShot2014-03-20at113755_zps4df645f8.png

As you can see there is one noticeable difference between normal Amano shrimps and young Macrobachrium (Pic is of a Macrobachium) is they have a long forearm pincer which is used to grab prey basically. These are pretty nasty to have in a tropical tank as these can grow pretty big and eats a variety of prey.

But from you picture I think you do have a Amano shrimp. 
smile.png

Sorry, am new to the forum so might not be following proper etiquette.

@the_lock_man, you are right. The shrimps do not have long pincers limbs so macrobrachium can be ruled out.

As for @Ch4rlie, yes my friend did suggest Glass shrimp. but they are very unlike what I have.

Would like a few more comments coming in, but in the meanwhile will hold on to the thought that they are indeed Amano shrimps. :)

BTW: I can see them eating Algae off plants vigorously.

Thanks to the_lock_man and Ch4rlie. Your quick response is truly appreciated.

Regards

Hi, I have the same problem. I bought four of these Ghost Shrimp in my lfs about 6 months ago. Unfortunately I have only two left. But these two seem to be getting quite big (almost an inch now) and I've noticed them turning a bit darker in color. Is this normal as they get older?

I would also like if someone can confirm that this little guy, or gal, is berried?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_0111.JPG
    IMG_0111.JPG
    746.3 KB · Views: 425
  • IMG_0128.JPG
    IMG_0128.JPG
    817 KB · Views: 432
  • IMG_0132.JPG
    IMG_0132.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 430

Most reactions