Help identify a fish from a fish rescue

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

sandyd

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I just rescued some fish, i will explain later. I rescued 4 silver dollars full grown, 3 tiger barbs, 5 unknown. The unknowns look just like the tiger barbs in body size and structure, but 2 have red noses, and 3 have light orange noses. Their bodies are like orangish with what looks like white stripes. I think they are also barbs, but unsure of what type. Are they community fish? I have tetras, guppies, swords in my main tank, and i need to know if they will get eaten if i put them in there. Please respond
Sandy

Not sure, but might they be albino tiger barbs? I wouldn't put any kind of tiger barbs in with guppies. They'll shred them.

Nice of you to rescue those fish. :nod: They sound like Albino Tiger Barbs to me , the "red" nosed ones are the males. I have never had the community fish you listed so can't help on the other part. :crazy: Good luck w/ them.

I am almost positive those are albino tiger barbs - I've had numerous ones, and they sound exactly the same. The have faint white stripes in the same places as normal tiger barbs' black stripes - so you could try to compare. If they're albino TBs they'll be the same shape and have the same fins - just do a little close examination. :) Are the tiger barbs you rescued going in the same main tank? If so, and you added the albinos, you'd have a group of 8, which is great. Albinos school with the normal striped, and if TBs are in a school they'll present a much smaller chance of annoying other fish. It of course depends on how large your tank is, how many fish total, and if it's well planted with lots of hiding places. If it's not big enough or well planted, the tigers will probably (but not always) nip the fins of your other fish. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it, though there are always the exceptions to the rule like my tiger barb, who never hurts a soul. And hey - great for you for rescuing these fish!! :hooray:

I'm also sure that there albino tiger barbs (I checked the net for pics and they all match ur description) ;)

Thanks everyone, i checked and they are indeed albino barbs, there are 5 in there 3 females and 2 males according to the noses LOL. There are also 4 tiger barbs in there, 1 male 3 females. One of the female tiger barbs is missing a part of her gill, any idea if it will grow back? I took my swords, guppies, head and tail light tetras out but left my skirt tetras in there. They seem to be getting along fine with the barbs, but i am keep ing an eye on them. There are also 4 corys in there and i have been watching them also. I also now have 2 plecostomous in there too, oh it is a 55 gallon. My problem fish from the rescue is the 4 silver dollars, and a danio. They were way to agressive when i tried toput them in there and I was afraid it was way to over populated, so they are all in a 20 gallon alone for now until i can get another tank for them. Their owner was in the process of releasing them all to a lake. :-( :no:

What tank would be the least size i could put 4 silver dollars and a danio in? I am over run with tanks, and have tried everywhere to try to give them a new home, but no one i know wants them since they are agressive. Also suggestions on what they will eat, i have tried flake food, but they do not seem thrilled with it, it could be they are adjusting to all they went through yesterday. It was a horrible thing, and I lost control of my voice for a few minutes, if that makes sense.
Thanks alot. Sandy

Very unlikely the gill plate will grow back.

The silver dollars will eventually need at minimum a 4ft tank. As I am sure you have seen they are a very active and somewhat skiddish fish that need plenty of swimming room.

The pleco, if a common one will do fine in the same tank with the silver dollars.

CM

Congratulations on your rescue Sandyd. Sounds like you are a very kind hearted person and although you are overwhelmed with the new additions you have definitely done the right thing. Way to Go !

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back