help ID hitchhiker?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Tench

Reaction score
Hopefully I put this in the correct board.

Bought some snails and Java fern today and saw this fellow climbing around on one of the snail shells. He seemed to be irritating the snail so I am not inclined to think kindly of him, but wanted help identifying? Harmful or benign?

Quarter for size comparison.
unnamed.jpg

dfgdf.jpg

Safe to return to tank then? Google says they're delicious

Short lived scavenger. Excellent and easy to cultivate food source. Harmless

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

No problem

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Most fish will eat those. It won't last long.

Been a while since seen scud :lol:

Kind of good to see they're still around but as long as in low ish numbers, they make pretty good snacks for your stocking. Free food!! ;)

That's a great pic btw, not easy to photograph something so small so clearly :good:

I have loads of these in my daphnia tanks outside. I like them. Busy little things always scurrying around.

Been a while since seen scud :lol:

Kind of good to see they're still around but as long as in low ish numbers, they make pretty good snacks for your stocking. Free food!! ;)

That's a great pic btw, not easy to photograph something so small so clearly :good:

This was in my local PetSmart, not even a fancy LFS. Petsmart hardly even has live plants in their tanks since they do those plant tubes! But while shopping I saw one in their snail tank that I didn't think much of til I saw this one in my own tank.

And thanks! I actually took this pic with a cell phone, Verizon LG G2.

That scud would last all of about 5 seconds in my Betta sorority tank before it was eaten by one of the girls, Even my fingers are on the menu.

I don't imagine it lived very long after going back into my tank either, but it seemed kinder than going down the drain!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back