Help! I think my guppies dying

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Guppylover3x

Fish Addict
Tank of the Month šŸ†
Reaction score
For the last two days Iā€™ve noticed my guppy sitting motionless on the gravel in the morning. Itā€™s worrying because all the other fish are swimming around by this time as itā€™s getting lighter. I tried shining a torch light on him this morning or putting the fish tank light on and whilst the rest all started swimming more heā€™s still sat still. This is totally unexpected. My tank is cycling but I am far into the cycle not at the beginning. The tanks been set up around 4/5 weeks. I have 7 male guppies that were added in two goes. They are in a 10g, this is totally unexpected. I look after my fish well, I use salt minerals to raise the hardiness of the water at the moment. The tank has water changes of around 50-70% per week. Sometimes less if peramters are more stable. I must say an odd factor about this guppy is that he has a curved back unlike the rest who look pretty normal. What would others recommend? I am really worried. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

My platy had a curved back and it died earlier this week, mine was a runt meaning when it was born it basically had problems developing. Iā€™m just saying that this is common and it may have been bullied by others, mine wasnā€™t eating as the others would chase it away and I found it motionless at the bottom of the tank.

Iā€™m not sure how to fix this as it was too late to help mine but I would suggest moving it to another tank for a while till it acts normal again.

My platy had a curved back and it died earlier this week, mine was a runt meaning when it was born it basically had problems developing. Iā€™m just saying that this is common and it may have been bullied by others, mine wasnā€™t eating as the others would chase it away and I found it motionless at the bottom of the tank.

Iā€™m not sure how to fix this as it was too late to help mine but I would suggest moving it to another tank for a while till it acts normal again.

Many thanks for the reply. I donā€™t think my fish is being bullied. Itā€™s one of the largest in the tank and Iā€™ve not noticed he hasnā€™t been eating when I do feed my fish. Iā€™ve got a spare tank but I donā€™t want to risk stressing the fish out more by starting up a brand new tank and putting him in. Iā€™m worried it will be like putting him into a brand new cycling tank as the media wonā€™t be built up with the bacteria needed. I have heard that an arched back can mean problems since birth but when I bought him he seemed fine. Swimming normally etc and he has been in my tank since January. Thanks for the feedback.

Ps - Iā€™m sorry to hear about your little Platy.

Bent backs in fish can be caused by an internal bacterial infection (Tuberculosis), a tumor or growth in their body, or a genetic disorder. Old fish are more susceptible to curved spines and fish that haven't been given ideal conditions when young.

There's not normally any cure for the fish and most people euthanize them when they stop eating.

Bent backs in fish can be caused by an internal bacterial infection (Tuberculosis), a tumor or growth in their body, or a genetic disorder. Old fish are more susceptible to curved spines and fish that haven't been given ideal conditions when young.

There's not normally any cure for the fish and most people euthanize them when they stop eating.

I donā€™t think I could come to term with killing the fish myself. Iā€™m keeping my lights of in the tank and the room so itā€™s as dark as I can possible get it. Itā€™s a very sunny day.. Iā€™m just hoping the death is quick and as pain free as possible :( Iā€™d say the deformity has got worse with time. It wasnā€™t as bad when I first got got him. I am hoping itā€™s nothing Iā€™ve done. Heā€™s currently hiding behind a rock at the moment. Iā€™ve also noticed a darkening in colour which is probably normal. You are correct in saying the fish maybe older. The first 3 fish I got came a lot bigger in comparison to the second 4 which looked like they were still babies. Do I need to treat my tank? Thank for you for your help.

Last edited:
I have a problem with other fish nipping at him :( this is stressing him out more. Have anyone got any recommendations? Would it help if I keep him in the net until he passes?

There's no need to treat the tank. Just do some big water changes and gravel clean the substrate a few times during the next week to dilute anything that might be in the water.

The easiest way to kill the fish is to whack it on the head with a hammer but not easy if you can't kill something.

If you have clove oil you can put the fish into a small container of tank water. Add a drop of clove oil and gently stir the water up. Wait about 30 seconds and then add another drop, stir and wait 30 seconds. Continue doing this until the fish stops moving. It is not dead at this stage but it is unconscious. When the fish is asleep, put the container of water (with the fish in) into the freezer and leave it there until it is frozen solid, then bury the iceblock in the garden.

If you don't have clove oil then put the fish into a small container of water and put that in the freezer. Leave until frozen then bury the iceblock. You only need a small amount of water and you want it to freeze as quick as possible.

There's no need to treat the tank. Just do some big water changes and gravel clean the substrate a few times during the next week to dilute anything that might be in the water.

The easiest way to kill the fish is to whack it on the head with a hammer but not easy if you can't kill something.

If you have clove oil you can put the fish into a small container of tank water. Add a drop of clove oil and gently stir the water up. Wait about 30 seconds and then add another drop, stir and wait 30 seconds. Continue doing this until the fish stops moving. It is not dead at this stage but it is unconscious. When the fish is asleep, put the container of water (with the fish in) into the freezer and leave it there until it is frozen solid, then bury the iceblock in the garden.

If you don't have clove oil then put the fish into a small container of water and put that in the freezer. Leave until frozen then bury the iceblock. You only need a small amount of water and you want it to freeze as quick as possible.

All seem like pain free ways to euthanise. I wish I was strong enough but Iā€™m not unfortunately. The fish is now on its side but still alive. Itā€™s turning back onto itā€™s tummy every now and again which makes it look like heā€™s just resting :( Iā€™ve managed to fall asleep all day because itā€™s been so dark I imagine and Iā€™ve just checked again hoping for more luck but none.

Last edited:
Update - the guppy passed just over an hour ago. Many thanks for all the help and advice.

Most reactions

Back