Help = I think my fish is poorly, I don't know what to do....

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Michelle74

Reaction score
Hello

I have a fresh water goldfish, whose belly is swollen, it's not swimbladder, as he's not floating or sinking. his scales are protruding and his eyes seem quite big. He also has some black marking on his underside. I've looked at my books and on the internet and at various pictures, but it doesn't look like Dropsy, as his belly isn't as swollen as the pictures I've seen... and there's no mention of having black on his underside...... what could this be??? Really appreciate any help/advice you could give me.....

thank you

If your fish's scales are sticking out, it is dropsy.

You can try salt baths (2 or 3 tablespoons of aquarium salt, or, even better, Epsom salt, dissolved in a gallon of water, and leave the fish in there for ten or twenty minutes, once or twice a day), but I feel I ought to warn you that this, very often, a fatal condition.

Just so we can rule anything else out, and work out why this might have happened, can you give us some more details of your set up, please?

How big is your tank, how long has it been set up and do you know if it's cycled? Have you tested the water at all and, if so, what were the numbers?

Last edited:
Hello Fluttermoth

Thanks for getting back to me. I've ordered a testing kit, some aquarium salt, some anti bacteria treatment and some API Melafix and this will be here tomorrow - is it okay to put all of this in the tank at the same time?

I was going to get some Epsom Salts, but there are so many around, so not sure which one to get....? Also, I don't have a spare aquarium to put the poorly fish in. Can I treat all of the fish together?

I've had the fish tank since February 2017 and it's 400 litres. It is overdue a clean, but the filter sponge is clean and the water is clear......

Don't put all that stuff in at once. Forget about the Melafix; that's only any good as preventative if your fish has an open wound.

Treat the tank with the anti bacterial, but take the affected fish out and do the salt baths in a bucket or something, with some plain dechorinated water.

What other fish do you have? I'm a bit concerned that a sponge filter won't be able to cope with the waste you get from a goldfish, which are a very big, bulky, messy fish. As soon as you get the test kit, test the water, following the instructions carefully, and post the results; clear water is no indication of water quality; sulphuric acid is clear, but it wouldn't do your fish much good!

Thanks for that - so for the affected fish in the bucket with the de-chlorinated water, how long should I leave him in there?

This is the fish tank I've got: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01AO1L8QO/?tag=

It's 300l - not 400l.

I have 5 other goldfish - all of which aren't as big as the poorly goldfish.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I would not ask anyone at Pets at Home for advice on any aspect of fish keeping. They do not have a very good reputation I'm afraid.

You need plain epsom salts, with no perfume added. You can usually buy a bag from a chemist. Dissolve some in dechlorinated water, the same temperature as the tank, in a bucket or something similar, and place the fish in that for 10 minutes. If the fish becomes distressed take it out sooner.

Thank you, I will try that then - and will post the water results tomorrow. Thanks for your help - I really appreciate it.

IMAG0389.jpg
IMAG0379.jpg
IMAG0378.jpg
IMAG0393.jpg

I agree with essjay; what we've told you is your best chance to save your fish.

The Epsom salts you want are the ones sold by chemists and pharmacists for mild constipation in people.

I do feel I ought to tell you that your fish does not look at all well, and that you might well lose it; please don't blame yourself too much if the treatments don't work. You have a nice big tank for your fish, which is a lot more than a lot of goldfish get, but do post the test results from your water when you get them x

Hello - I just wanted to let you know that my fish died, I got home on Wednesday, ready to put him in some Epson Salts and the poor thing was dead in the bottom of the tank :rip: I tested the water and it was fine. I will keep testing it every couple of days though. I have put Anti bacteria fluid in the tank, along with aquarium salt. I've also done a 60% water change too - thanks for your support last week.

I'm sorry to hear that :(

Could you post the actual numbers from all your tests, please? There might be something there that would give us a clue as to what went on, and help us prevent it happening again.

Did you cycle the tank before you added fish? Was this fish in there from the beginning, or was it a later addition?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back