Help! I need to create water movement..

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

baetta

Reaction score
Hello all! I have recently dived into Betta ownership! I absolutely adore them. My tank has biofilm at the surface. As far ask I understand, this is not bad but correct me if I am wrong!! My tank is 6.7gals and has a filter which is pretty low flow as I had done my research to see that Bettas do not like lots of current. However, I'd like to try and get rid of the biofilm. I have looked up air stones, however, the multiple viewpoints has led me to be confused. Any suggestions? Everyone I've asked has said I need more water movement but I want to know the very best option!

I would not add a powerhead to such a small tank with a betta.

The film on the surface is oil from food etc. One thing you could try is the paper towel method. Turn the filter off then lay a paper kitchen towel flat on the water surface. Take hold of one edge and lift it from the tank. The film should stick to it - though it may require more than one go.

Don't forget to turn the filter back on when you've finished.

Then get some floating plants for the tank. Bettas appreciate them.

I would not add a powerhead to such a small tank with a betta.

The film on the surface is oil from food etc. One thing you could try is the paper towel method. Turn the filter off then lay a paper kitchen towel flat on the water surface. Take hold of one edge and lift it from the tank. The film should stick to it - though it may require more than one go.

Don't forget to turn the filter back on when you've finished.

Then get some floating plants for the tank. Bettas appreciate them.
Thanks, I think he has a good amount of space. I have tried using the paper towel, but it keeps coming back. I do have marimo moss plants in my tank but I can look into other plants.

Marimo, while beautiful, do not grow fast therefore they do not do much at all for removing the nutrients in the water. Floating plants like wisteria or water sprite are fast growing and betta love to rest in them.

Another way to get rid of bio film is to add an air stone. You can get adjustable valves that allow you to either have it going full blast, or just a trickle of bubbles. I use sponge filters with air stones in my betta fry tank so it shouldn't bother your boy at all.

Marimo, while beautiful, do not grow fast therefore they do not do much at all for removing the nutrients in the water. Floating plants like wisteria or water sprite are fast growing and betta love to rest in them.

Another way to get rid of bio film is to add an air stone. You can get adjustable valves that allow you to either have it going full blast, or just a trickle of bubbles. I use sponge filters with air stones in my betta fry tank so it shouldn't bother your boy at all.
Thank you! Any recommendations for the brand of air stone?

Not particularly, they all work the same, just get the little blue or white ones. Do you have an air pump on hand? If not you will need one of those too, again, nothing too fancy will be fine.

What type of filter is it?

Marimo moss balls should not be used in most tropical tanks like Betta tanks, its too warm for them these guys are native to cool lakes, and should be kept cool.

Shrimp, snails and other algae eaters will love them..... for lunch.

Marimo, a Japanese word which literally translates to “seaweed ball” are not moss at all - they’re actually a rare form of spherical algae. There’s no central stone or kernel inside the sphere - it’s solid algae, radiating from the center, growing radially outward at the snail’s pace of just 5mm per year. But in their natural habitats - few fresh water lakes in Japan, Estonia, Iceland, Scotland and Australia - they’ve been known to grow to between 8 and 12 inches in diameter!

Not particularly, they all work the same, just get the little blue or white ones. Do you have an air pump on hand? If not you will need one of those too, again, nothing too fancy will be fine.
Ok! Thank you so much for the info, I will make sure I get the air pump as well.

What type of filter is it?

Marimo moss balls should not be used in most tropical tanks like Betta tanks, its too warm for them these guys are native to cool lakes, and should be kept cool.

Shrimp, snails and other algae eaters will love them..... for lunch.
Ok, thanks for the tip about the moss balls. The filter came with the tank, I have the Imagitarium 6.7 gal aquarium as seen in this Petco ad https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/imagitarium-semi-hexagonal-aquarium-kit

Does the air pump connect to the airstone? Or is it independent of the air stone?

A lot of air pumps come with air stones.

The air pump is connected to the airstone with airline tubing. The stone goes inside the tank and the pump outside. It is also advisable to have a one way valve in the airline tubing just in case the tank water ever sucks back along the tubing and into the pump - which won't do a piece of electrical equipment any good.

Air pumps can also be used to power sponge filters which are good filters for bettas as the water flow is not strong. The air from the air pump passes through the filter and creates bubbles as well - two functions from one device. But you can't just swap from the current filter to a sponge filter as that would leave the tank without filter bacteria while the new one cycled.

There are many different brands of air pump; this is the one I use to power the sponge filter in my betta's tank https://www.eheim.com/en_GB/products/technology/air-pumps/air-pump It is not the cheapest one but it is almost silent.

A lot of air pumps come with air stones.

The air pump is connected to the airstone with airline tubing. The stone goes inside the tank and the pump outside. It is also advisable to have a one way valve in the airline tubing just in case the tank water ever sucks back along the tubing and into the pump - which won't do a piece of electrical equipment any good.

Air pumps can also be used to power sponge filters which are good filters for bettas as the water flow is not strong. The air from the air pump passes through the filter and creates bubbles as well - two functions from one device. But you can't just swap from the current filter to a sponge filter as that would leave the tank without filter bacteria while the new one cycled.

There are many different brands of air pump; this is the one I use to power the sponge filter in my betta's tank https://www.eheim.com/en_GB/products/technology/air-pumps/air-pump It is not the cheapest one but it is almost silent.
Thank you for the tips, I really appreciate the tips. I have decided on getting an air stone!

Air stones are a waste of $2 or $3 they make bubbles and thats all.

If you are going to use an air-stone you may as well use a small filter like the one in the image.

You also need a one way check valve, this will stop the water from siphoning out of the tank and destroying the air pump in case the power goes out
https://www.theaquariumwiki.com/wiki/Check_valve

2 Air Control valves, 1 is used to regulate how much air goes into the tank, the other is like a waste gate.
https://www.toofishy.com/Lee-s-Two-Way-Plastic-Valve-for-Airline-Tubing-2-Pack-LE141041.html

1 Y Air line Splitter,
https://www.aquariumcoop.com/collections/air-pumps/products/y-airline-splitter?variant=28711199816

I can take a picture and upload it soon

Before you buy anything please upload a photo.

265298g.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Back