April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

S.O.S

Reaction score
i just accidentally dropped a cup of coffee which splattered all over my new betas tank. The feeding whole is small,so I donā€™t know how much got in there. I tested his ph when I started treating him for possible fin and take rott,though I really believe the culprit was one of his silk but still formerly pointy and sharp plants. now since retesting the water after the spill his ph is 8.4, when ealrier it was an 8. I live in a bum fudge small town in vet where nothing is open and I donā€™t on hand have in chlorinated water to change the tank with. So so far and this occurred about fifteen mins ago, I immediately put some fish salt in the water and the very last little drop of de chlorinator. My desperate and immediate question is how dangerous is this,what do I do,will he be okay....so that was a few questions. Just please if someone would answer me quickly about this i really need an experts help.thankyou

Do some water changes, 75% every day for the next four days, that should get rid of the salt the and what ever else may be in there.

The salt was specially made fish salt too bring alcholinity down. Itā€™s the caffeine or other coffee contaminants Iā€™m concerned about in the water right now at this very moment. But thankyou for your kind reply and time.

Did I do everything I could, does anybody know will he be okay at least till tomorrow when I can change some water or how ever much should be changed if even nessasary?

Is the ph level of 8.4 okay or at a dangerous level?

I told you what to do, and salt is useless if you keep using it your fish will get sick.

The PH is fine

Just do water changes, this is the quickest and most straight forward way to fix the problem. Not a clue why your pH would of went up from coffee seeing as it is acidic not basic, meaning the pH should of went down if anything. Sometimes water when left to stand for a few days will become more basic, so maybe test some water right from the tap, then let that water sit for a few days then retest it.

Usually, so long as the pH stays stable, don't bother trying to change it. Yes bettas do better in lower pH but trying to fix that will more than likely harm the fish if done incorrectly.

Adding the salt was probably not the best idea. Bettas do not come from a very salty water system, meaning there should be no salt in their tanks. Also, salt should only be used for illnesses and mainly as a bath for external infections/infestations. Doing water changes every day should take out most of the salt and any coffee stuff in a few days.

Just a quick question now, was it black coffee?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back