Help! How to proceed with medication

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
The tank is 5.5 gallons.
So along with the weekly changes I need to start a monthly big water change? I thought that would make the tank recycle, which can kill my fish.

Big water changes don't affect filter bacteria as long as the new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine.

I would do a 50-75% water change and gravel clean each week.

----------------------
Regarding this issue, I would do a big (75%) water change today, gravel clean the substrate, and remove the carbon from the filter, and clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks, then see how he looks tomorrow and probably treat him then if he doesn't look better after the big water change.

Even though the carbon is older than 4 weeks? I still need to remove it from the filter pad?

Yes the carbon needs to be removed even tho it is 4 weeks old. Carbon will continue to absorb chemicals from air or water until it is full. If the water has no chemicals in, the carbon might not be full and will absorb the medication from the water.

Just cut a slit in the bottom of the filter cartridge and shake the carbon out and throw it in the bin. Then put the filter pad back in the filter.

Yes the carbon needs to be removed even tho it is 4 weeks old. Carbon will continue to absorb chemicals from air or water until it is full. If the water has no chemicals in, the carbon might not be full and will absorb the medication from the water.

Just cut a slit in the bottom of the filter cartridge and shake the carbon out and throw it in the bin. Then put the filter pad back in the filter.

I got the carbon out and put the filter back in and as soon as I turned it back on the water got ungainly cloudy. Should I be concerned?

No need to be concerned. The cloudy water will be from gunk in the filter pad that got released into the tank water. The filter should pick it up over the next few hours. If not a water change will clear it up.

Update: this is the third round of medication. The whiteness is receding! One of my plants completely died m, not sure if that's related or not.

Some medications affect plants but most don't. Any idea what the plant is that died?
Did the plant suddenly fall apart after the medication?

Some "aquarium plants" are not true aquatic plants and die after a period of time under water.

It was hornwort and yes it suddenly dropped all its leaves. I did a big water change to try and clean it up but theres soooo much.

Hornwort is renown for dropping its leaves and dying. It happens if there is a sudden temperature or water chemistry change. The medication tends to knock it off too.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back