FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Fishmanic

TFF Contest Czar
Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I noticed a haze on the glass of my 35 gallon tall hex planted tank. I used to have a large pleco in that tank and he took care of the algae. I recently moved him to my other tank to help clear the algae.

Well now I have this green HARD algae all over the tank walls. I used a good nylon algae scraper on a long handle and tried to remove the algae. It is hardened and the brush wouldnt remove it. My tank is glass. Do I need a razor blade scraper to get this stuff off?

Any advice appreciated.

I use the disposable razor blades they sell at hardware stores they work great and are pretty cheap. Just be careful not to cut yourself or the fish

i used the velcro side of a magnetic tank cleaner to clean my arowana tank from algae
Also, algae killer is an option.

I agree.  Chemicals that kill algae are going to enter into the fish via the gills and this is something we should always avoid.  Plants may be harmed too, depending.

Algae can always be controlled naturally.  If light intensity and duration is balanced with the nutrient supply sufficient for the plants and no more, problem algae will not be an issue.  And keep in mind that "light" includes not just the tank lighting but ambient room lighting too; bright daylight from a window can upset the balance and cause algae.

However, having said that, it is perfectly natural for algae to form on the glass.  All surfaces covered by water will form a biofilm that attracts bacteria, microscopic critters, and algae.  I run a sponge-type scraper over the inside of the front glass (sometimes the side and rear glass too) at every water change even though I usually don't see any algae.  But miss this a week or two, and algae will appear.  This is the stuff that some "algae-eating" fish can deal with to some degree, but it is still advisable to clean the glass regularly.  Getting it at the stage you cannot see it will make it much easier to prevent.

To dealing with very difficult hard algae, I have a small scraper with a very stiff plastic blade that usually gets it with a bit of effort.  I also have a similar scraper using a razor blade like someone mentioned.  Just be careful not to use the blade sideways, only directly at 90 degrees to the blade (hope that is understandable).  Sideways motion can scratch the glass.

Byron.

i found a 4 inch plastic scraper with a short  handle and it does seem to be removing the hard algae.  They also sell a 32 inch scraper on amazon that looks pretty decent  but i would think a short handled one like the plastic scraper I have would allow you to put more force on the scraper to remove stubborn algae at the inconvenience of having to put your hands deep into the tank.  

It's nice to have clean glass again on my 35 gallon tall hex.

I use 7 different algae removers depending on the algae:

1. Algae pad on a handle about 20 inc TL.
2. Algae pads hand held. larger piece is purchased and cut to a few dif sizes.
3. Kent long and short handle scrapers which hold 3 dif "blades, all of which I have.
3.a. Plastic blade.
3.b. Stainless steel blade.
3.c. Pad type blade.
4. Magfloat.
5. Single edge razor blade.

What Byron means is always move the blade to "scrape" not to cut. i.e. Like you are shaving with it not like to are slicing through something with it. A razor can slise into the glass and leave a permanent scratch mark. The same applies to a Stainless Steel blade, esp. at the corners.

Blades are mostly for hard to remove algae and the pads for the softer varieties. The MagFloat works less well the harder the algae, but is neat to use, especially when it lets go and you can make it reattach
tongue2.gif

I also had hard green spot algae appear.  However it was too hard for my otos and nerites.  magnetic scraper and plastic scraper were not effective.  Since the Take is acrylic a metal scraper is not a solution.  However while working on cyanobacteria issue I found that cleaning out the organic buildup in the substrate cleared the hard spot algae (much faster than the cyanobacteria).  I then did some experimenting with phosphorous fertilizer and suddenly the hard green spot algae reappeared.  Went back to my regular fertilizer and it again cleared up.  

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back