Help! Guppy Fry Escaping From Breeding Trap And Being Eaten

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

beverleymulholland

Reaction score
I found around 20 guppy fry hiding in a floating plant a few nights ago when I was feeding the fish. My local pet store advised me to transfer them to a marina breeding trap which I did so. The next morning there were only 6 guppy fry left in the breeding trap. I then saw another one escape through the side slats of the breeding trap. I have now bought another breeding net and transferred the remaining fry into it. How can I prevent losing the remaining fry? I would be grateful for any advice as i feel bad that the majority of fry escaped and got eaten.

Are you sure they are Guppy fry if they are getting through the vents on the Breeding Trap? Mine can't get through them and they are specifically designed for livebearer fry :/

Well, yes I am sure as my friend actually saw one squeezing through the vent too and then being eaten by a gourami. I am disappointed as box breeding trap not fit for purpose.  The 3 remaining fry have not managed to escape from the breeding net.

beverleymulholland said:
Well, yes I am sure as my friend actually saw one squeezing through the vent too and then being eaten by a gourami. I am disappointed as box breeding trap not fit for purpose.  The 3 remaining fry have not managed to escape from the breeding net.

What else do you have in the tank?
Also, what size tank? I'm still confused as I have had guppy fry in breeding traps of all sizes and they've never been able to get through the vents...

The tank is 125 litres. I have 4 dwarf gouramis, 2 mollies, 6 guppies, an  albino plec and 10 neon tetras in the tank. I couldn't quite believe it myself when I saw one escaping through the side vents. 

beverleymulholland said:
The tank is 125 litres. I have 4 dwarf gouramis, 2 mollies, 6 guppies, an  albino plec and 10 neon tetras in the tank. I couldn't quite believe it myself when I saw one escaping through the side vents. 

Hmm, what sort of Pleco? If it's a Common then it'll outgrow your tank. Only thing I can think is that maybe she gave birth prematurely and therefore the babies are smaller?

The 3 remaining guppy fry are doing well in the new mesh breeding trap and seem unable to escape. The plec is approx 6 inches long. When he out grows the tank I will give him to my friend who has 4 larger tanks than mine. My friend had guppy fry but they were bigger than mine. The guppy fry are approx 3mm long and very difficult to see. They have large heads and transparent bodies.

beverleymulholland said:
The 3 remaining guppy fry are doing well in the new mesh breeding trap and seem unable to escape. The plec is approx 6 inches long. When he out grows the tank I will give him to my friend who has 4 larger tanks than mine. My friend had guppy fry but they were bigger than mine. The guppy fry are approx 3mm long and very difficult to see. They have large heads and transparent bodies.

Unless your friend has a minimum of a 6ftx3ftx3ft tank for him, I'd say just sell him or take him back to the shop. Yeah, sounds like she may have dropped slightly prematurely cause mine were only born on 13/01/13 and even when newly born they were about 4-5mm long.

Remaining 3 guppy fry doing well and now about 5 - 6 mm long. Also, another female guppy looks pregnant.

beverleymulholland said:
Remaining 3 guppy fry doing well and now about 5 - 6 mm long. Also, another female guppy looks pregnant.

If there's a male in the tank then they'll almost always be pregnant.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back