HELP!! Guppies dieing off?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Cas Tiel

Reaction score
Hi, recently i brought a 40 litre tank planted tank. In that tank I had 7 guppies and one guppy fry (all boys). I have had the guppies for about 5 days, brought from a pet shop. About three days ago, one of my guppies wasn't swimming, but was on the bottom of the tank heavily breathing the next day he sadly passed away. Then today, another one of my guppy is looking unwell, struggling to swim and resting at the top of the tank, he hasn't passed away yet, so i placed him in a separate tank away from the other fish. Although i have a feeling he will pass away.

so some things to know,
- The second sick guppy had white (almost clear) stringy poop
- My pH is 6.3, ammonia is between 0 and 0.25, and i don't know about the nitrite.
- all my other fish look quite well, happily swimming around, good eaters.
-when i did get these two guppies, they weren't as social as the other ones.

any help would be highly appreciated!

thanks,
Cas :)

How long has the tank been set up for?
How often are you feeding the fish?
What other fish are in the tank besides the guppies?

-----------------------
Stringy white poop is usually associated with an intestinal problem like Tuberculosis (TB) or some other bacterial infection. It can also be intestinal worms. However, TB doesn't kill fish quickly and it is unusual for it to kill a group of fish within days of each other. And intestinal worms don't normally kill fish either.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate. Make sure the new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the aquarium. Then add some rock salt or swimming pool salt. Add 1 heaped tablespoon of salt for each 20litres of tank water. If there is no improvement after 24 hours, then add another heaped spoon of salt for every 20litres.

To work out the volume of water in the tank,
measure length x width x height in cm,
divide by 1000
= volume in litres.

When you measure the height of the tank, measure from the top of the gravel/ substrate to the top of the water level.

Monitor them over the next few days and inform us if anything changes.

Hi, recently i brought a 40 litre tank planted tank. In that tank I had 7 guppies and one guppy fry (all boys). I have had the guppies for about 5 days, brought from a pet shop. About three days ago, one of my guppies wasn't swimming, but was on the bottom of the tank heavily breathing the next day he sadly passed away. Then today, another one of my guppy is looking unwell, struggling to swim and resting at the top of the tank, he hasn't passed away yet, so i placed him in a separate tank away from the other fish. Although i have a feeling he will pass away.

so some things to know,
- The second sick guppy had white (almost clear) stringy poop
- My pH is 6.3, ammonia is between 0 and 0.25, and i don't know about the nitrite.
- all my other fish look quite well, happily swimming around, good eaters.
-when i did get these two guppies, they weren't as social as the other ones.

any help would be highly appreciated!

thanks,
Cas :)
Your PH is way too low for guppies. They are a hard water fish.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back