FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fish_food

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Tank size: 100L
ammonia: 0
tank temp: 24 oC

Just got home to see my bubble-eyed goldfish on it's side with a red streak in it's eye.  
Did a complete water change and am currently aerating the tank.  He's still lying on his side and looking quite weak. I really don't know what to do, and am afraid he might die.
I'm an aquarium noob so I wasn't aware of tank cycling until recently, and I think this might have been why his health has been up and down for a while.

Is there anything I can do?

A red streak could mean septicimia, or ammonia burns. (I'm also a noob is diseases, bear with me :X ) Does the streak have a two pronged tail?

What is your nitrite reading? If I recall, you are doing a fish-in cycle, right? If ammonia is zero, you may be dealing with nitrite. However, there are long-lasting problems from exposure to ammonia. Can you please post an image?

You said you are currently aerating the tank. Has there not been a filter previously or do you mean you have added additional oxygen in some way (air stones/pumps, lowered water level, etc.)?

He's still alive, but he's very weak.
Sorry I haven't been very clear.  The local aquarium didn't sell a nitrite tester, so I wasn't able to get a reading.  He already had a filter, but I've added in an air stone.
The red streak is in his eye, and I've read somewhere that it might have something to do with oxygen deprivation.
I'm worried, since he hasn't eaten for nearly a week, and he's already so weak.

Sorry about the quality, I couldn't get a good picture of his eyes without disturbing him, but there is a red blob in both of them.  The white background is a basket I put him in to get him closer to the surface of the tank.

Okay, so you've already done a water change. If you are experiencing any nitrite issues, those should be at least lowered because of that. It's been about twelve hours since the water change, right? If you haven't already done so, do another at around 50%. 

I can't see much of anything from the photo, so I'm just going to give some very basic information. If at all possible, try to do at least two water changes a day until you can get a nitrite test. API sells a master kit with nitrite in it (as well as ammonia, nitrate, and pH). I would try to contact other stores and see about picking one up. 

Assuming this is the only fish in the tank, we can likely say this is due to water quality issues which you've been dealing with lately. It almost sounds like septicemia, but this usually this disease presents in the body of the fish. It is, however, often caused by exposure to poor water quality. Keeping up the water changes will be the best option. You should not dose any medicine until you know what you are dealing with. My favorite medicine is the water change. 

Thanks for the replies.  Sorry about the photo quality, I own a potato camera.
I've had problems previously with this same fish regarding ammonia burns which I misdiagnosed as septicaemia.
It seems that every time I do a water change, the fish gets weaker, and I'm worried if I do another big water change right now, it might kill him.  Should I wait until his health improves to change it?
As the tank is uncycled, how often should I do water changes and how many percent?

The blood in his eyes looks a little like this picture.

Attachments

• CelestialEyeGoldfishWFG_Cn4D4774_med.jpg
    CelestialEyeGoldfishWFG_Cn4D4774_med.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 162
The percentage really depends on the amount of nitrite in your water. I hear salt will negate the nitrite, but I'm not sure what sort or how much you should add. 

There are many issues that we see with this sort of fish. They are bred into a variety of deformities which cause a lot of issues. Eye problems seem to be pretty frequent. 

However, that doesn't look like septicemia to me. 

I'm not really sure what else you should do for it. 

Should I change the water right now, or should I wait until he's stronger?
Yeah, I got him from a friend and seeing all the health problems he's facing makes me wish they hadn't been bred this way.  He can barely see well enough to eat!

I don't know, honestly. I would do a water change, but perhaps do it slowly. It's sometimes difficult to alter the speed of draining but refill it slowly, see if that helps him adjust. Try to temp match the water. 

He's still alive but not eating.  I've tried hand feeding him, but he keeps on spitting the food back out.  I also did a 10% water change and he seems to be the same, so I will try another 10% change a bit later.

Did two 10% water changes since last time and added some table salt.  He's eating a bit now.
Also got hold of a pH test kit and got a reading of 7.6+  Nitrate kit still a no show.

He's getting stronger now and eating a bit more.  Another user pointed out that I should be doing water changes of around 90% every day in an uncycled tank which most likely explains why he got sick in the first place.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back