Help! Fish Keep Dying!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

CoryLover95

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I started a cycled 37 gal. aquarium about a week ago.  Since then, about half of the fish have died.  (About 1 a day.) 
I am frantic--what's causing this?  Or is it just stress...?

Here are the particulars:
  • 37 gal. aquarium
  • temp 78-80 degrees Fahrenheit
  • feeding Omega One Tropical Flakes
here are the species:
  • Dwarf Gourami
  • Neon Tetras
  • Cory Catfish
  • Red Wag Platys
  • Long Fin Red Minor Tetras
  • Snails
ALL of the catfish have died  , one of the Platys, one of the Gourami, three of the Tetras, and one of the Red Minor Tetras.  One of the catfish disappeared for a few days and then came out with a red, raw, bloody tail (and died a few hours later)--so I think his death was caused from being trapped under something for a few days.  The other injury-induced death was caused by one of the Tetras getting his tail caught in the filter and sticking there for a few hours.  The other fish just died, one by one.

Ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings are at 0.

Please help!  I feel so bad making these fish go through this and don't want to have to see any more die!

Thank you,
-CoryLover95

You say you started a cycled aquarium about a week ago. Can you tell us more about how it was cycled?

tcamos said:
You say you started a cycled aquarium about a week ago. Can you tell us more about how it was cycled?
I added Tetra SafeStart...an 8.25 oz. bottle.  Tested the water quality in a few days and it seemed to be working...

Have you tested the water after you added fish? Not all cycling products work, unfortunately.

VickyChaiTea said:
Have you tested the water after you added fish? Not all cycling products work, unfortunately.
+1
This is really what I was thinking about when I asked the question. My thinking is that the tank isn't really cycled yet.

It seems that you should show nitrates at least...

tcamos said:
It seems that you should show nitrates at least...
I've heard that before...but what I'm not getting is that my ammonia and nitrite is also at 0.  Maybe there's something wrong with my test strips, so I'm going to get my water tested at a pet store today.

test strips are notoriously inacurate, you need a liquid based test kit ASAP i would guess you have ammonia in your tank, fish suffering ammonia poisioning often are weak and get sucked toward the filter

the link in my signature will explain fish in cycling, its hard work though, lots of regular water changes are needed

I went to PetSmart today, and they said that fish losses are normal...and that it would take a while for my tank to become stable.  Is that true?

Yes, if you have an uncycled tank, fish deaths are normal.  However, if you read through the beginner's resource center (link in my sig) you will learn how to avoid the deaths.  Fish deaths are not necessary to set-up a new tank.  (This may sound harsh, but I mean the best in saying it, I promise.)  It happens generally because people don't do the necessary research about how to properly set-up a proper fish HABITAT.  Ultimately, that's what this is supposed to be, a proper habitat.  All elements of the fish's existence is the responsibility of the fishkeeper, and the fish are more dependent on their keeper than any other pets.  

No instant cycle product is designed for that level of stocking on first additions.  Many of the fish you were starting with are sensitive to ammonia.  You are squarely in a fish-in cycle.  You will need a proper LIQUID test kit for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.  Ultimately, you need to test DAILY and change the water in as large a percentage as needed to bring the ammonia or nitrite close to zero.

For example, if your ammonia reads 2ppm, you need to do a 90% water change to bring the levels down to 0.2ppm.  That's still too high, ultimately, but its better than it would be.  If the pH is low (under 7.0) the ammonia at 0.2ppm is not toxic.  The larger the size of the water change, the longer before you need to do another water change.  With the amount of fish you added the ammonia levels probably skyrocketed.  Frequent water changes are the only way for your fish to survive this process... (Read through the fish-in cycle thread linked below.)

eaglesaquarium said:
Yes, if you have an uncycled tank, fish deaths are normal.  However, if you read through the beginner's resource center (link in my sig) you will learn how to avoid the deaths.  
+∞

Tonight, no more fish died!  They are all doing well and very active.  My ammonia is consistently 0.  Fed them bloodworms last night, which helped possibly...

Are you still using the paper strips?

CoryLover95 said:
Tonight, no more fish died!  They are all doing well and very active.  My ammonia is consistently 0.  Fed them bloodworms last night, which helped possibly...
I'm very glad to hear that. I also agree with Lock_man about the testing strips.

Most reactions

trending

Back