Help! Fish are all biting each other!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Goldfishfool

Reaction score
this only happened every since the molly started getting comfortable. We have one molly, 2 goldfish and 2 other small goldfish (different type) and another fish that goes on his own. Then the molly started biting one small fish and now all fish are biting each other! This usually doesn't happen when I'm around, but I see it happen at a distance where sometimes the small fish darts to nip the other small fish.

Welcome to TFF. :hi:

You will need to identify the species...perhaps you could take photos and post, or find online photos and link them? Some fish are fin nippers by nature, and this is serious because it stresses other fish and weakens them. Like bullying.

You also need to give us some data, such as the temperature of the tank water.

The other thing is you have non-compatible species together. Goldfish are cooler water fish, and cannot be combined with tropicals. Mollies are definitely tropical fish. When we know the tank water temperature we may be able to suggest options, but these fish cannot be together regardless. Someone is going to be on the losing end temperature wise.

Byron.

Welcome to TFF. :hi:

You will need to identify the species...perhaps you could take photos and post, or find online photos and link them? Some fish are fin nippers by nature, and this is serious because it stresses other fish and weakens them. Like bullying.

You also need to give us some data, such as the temperature of the tank water.

The other thing is you have non-compatible species together. Goldfish are cooler water fish, and cannot be combined with tropicals. Mollies are definitely tropical fish. When we know the tank water temperature we may be able to suggest options, but these fish cannot be together regardless. Someone is going to be on the losing end temperature wise.

Byron.
We have two common goldfish, two platys and one white molly. Right now, the molly is nipping any fish that comes up to the higher half.

We have two common goldfish, two platys and one white molly. Right now, the molly is nipping any fish that comes up to the higher half.

As I mentioned previously, you need to separate the goldfish and tropical fish (separate tanks, or return whichever to the store). Even aside from temperature, these fish are not compatible.

You also should find out the parameters of your source water (tap water). The water authority should be able to tell you this if you are on city water, check their website or call them. The GH (general or total hardness) is critical for some fish like mollies, and the pH can be important too.

Byron.

As I mentioned previously, you need to separate the goldfish and tropical fish (separate tanks, or return whichever to the store). Even aside from temperature, these fish are not compatible.

You also should find out the parameters of your source water (tap water). The water authority should be able to tell you this if you are on city water, check their website or call them. The GH (general or total hardness) is critical for some fish like mollies, and the pH can be important too.

Byron.
Sorry, I don't have anything to show temperature, and we're getting test strips in a week or two. I feel as if the molly should be returned. There is also another problem. The platy goes sideway for a little when the fish nips it. I also just turned off the light and the molly hasn't nipped as much, maybe even not at all.

Last edited:
We are not going to be able to help you with this, without the information. So I will just repeat, goldfish and tropical fish cannot be kept in the same tank. Decide what you want and then provide accordingly.

You need a very large tank for common goldfish; how big is your tank?

Most reactions

Back