Help Breeding Blockheads

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

foley69

Fish Addict
Reaction score
i have a male blockhead cichlid(streatocranus casuarius) and i am going to be getting a female for him in the next couple of days i was wondering if anybody has any info on breeding them the tank they will be going in is 15gal and has a ph of 7.2 i kno ideal breeding conditions are between 7-7.5 ph with slightly hard water but if anybody has any more info it will be greatly appreciated

I have kept these before and they are somewhat picky about where they spawn. Though they are substrate spawners mine did not spawn until I introduced a piece of pvc pipe. I also noticed the eggs were not adhesive. It took about 4 days for the eggs to hatch and another 8 days for them to become free swimming. Blockheads are great parents. I ended up selling them all because I just didnt like the fact they stay on the bottom so they never really swim but dart on the bottom. It has something to do with their swimbladder and the fact that in the wild they live in fast moving waters so they have to swim against the current.

yea they have an under developed swimbladder which makes them less bouyant so the current in their natural habitat doesnt carry them off at the moment i have a half coconut shell with anubias and some kinda moss on it and i am going to get a couple of pieces of drilled lava rock as well so they have plenty of hiding places to go

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back