Help! Betta is inactive??

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

musicalbetta

Reaction score
I have a halfmoon twin tail betta fish and he's been very inactive lately, he's been hanging out at the bottom of the tank and doesn't really do anything. He still eats and moves around every few hours (or if i get him to). I also just started going back to school and haven't been seeing him very often, and while I was away from home for a couple days, I gave him that seven day feeder tablet that they sell at Petsmart.

Tank size: 2.5 gallons
My water parameters are well within the recommended range, although the water is pretty hard (it's been hard since I got him, which was 9 months ago, and he just started showing these symptoms).

His color is normal, but there are some white streaks in his fins.

Frequency of water changes: Every week, 15%

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank: Every week I add Tetra Easy Balance, 2 drops of it.
I just started adding this. I also add two drops of AquaSafe Plus every week.

Tank inhabitants: 1 Nerite snail

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration): A couple weeks ago I added a Nerite Snail, which he seemed to be fine around until now. Also recently started adding tetra easy balance straight into the tank, to control water hardness.

Exposure to chemicals: No exposure to any chemicals except the water additives I just explained.

Bettas need at least a five gallon tank, what Are your parameters. WC should be 50 percent a week. what kind of filter do you have?
We need this information in order to continue on with your problem.

Last edited:
My water parameters are well within the recommended range,
So zero for ammonia and nitrites?

Also recently started adding tetra easy balance straight into the tank, to control water hardness.
These types of products are nonsense, I would stop using it at once and do a 50% water change to get this rubbish out of the water.

Bettas need at least a five gallon tank, what Are your parameters. WC should be 50 percent a week. what kind of filter do you have?
We need this information in order to continue on with your problem.
I tested my parameters using one of those dip-and-read test kits that have those pieces of paper that have pads on them and you match the colors to the chart that it comes with, so I don't know the exact numbers, but nitrate and nitrite, are both 0, the alkalinity is about 120, but the hardness and pH are both high (very hard water and alkaline pH; but they're slowly going down since I've started using a water softener and pH balancer, and I do plan on getting sera super peat to help quicken the process. I also intend on getting driftwood to lower pH). The filter I have came with the tank I bought, it's the kind that requires filter cartridges (small) and there's a pipe that goes deeper into the tank and sucks in the water. My fish never gets stuck against the part where it sucks in water.

Last edited:
So zero for ammonia and nitrites?

These types of products are nonsense, I would stop using it at once and do a 50% water change to get this rubbish out of the water.
Actually, now that I think about it, I did a lot of research and learned that using the amount of chemical products I put into my water isn't good...I'm going to cut down on how much I use them but I won't stop completely, because they do help. But my ammonia is most likely high since my pH is high, and nitrite is 0. I'll add driftwood or almond leaves, since I read that they do help lower pH, which will help me with my ammonia problem. Any thoughts on adding that stuff?

I tested my parameters using one of those dip-and-read test kits that have those pieces of paper that have pads
chemicals in a tank really aren't necessary at all. unless treating an illness but even that can be done naturally.
Get a better test kit because strips are on the lowest level of accurate. API master test kit is pretty much what everyone has, I have a ph probe and some monitors personally. You are overthinking the lowering of your ph, you don't really need to for a betta, they can withstand a slightly off ph imo.

Any thoughts on adding that stuff?

Drift wood and IAL are fine, stay away from chemicals that claim to lower PH.

Most reactions

trending

Back