The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

MaddyD101

Reaction score
I have had my crowntail betta for a month and a half. The week I got him I noticed he had a nearly invisible black spot of fin rot, I figured if I kept up with water changes it would fix itself but it's now all over his fins. His fins are ragged, black at the tips and developing small holes in them. He is in an 11gallon planted tank heated at 79F. He has always loved his pellets but won't eat them now. I had some dried blackworms which he will eat.

Please help he is my first fish!

I can purchase Indian Almond leaves and/or Methylene Blue if needed

Can you post a picture of the fish?

Finrot is not normally black. The normal symptoms include red lines in the fins (not always easy to tell in red fish), split fins and sometimes a white edge to the fins.

Black spots and holes in the fins could be bacterial or protozoan. A broad spectrum medication that contains Malachite Green and Methylene Blue should treat the fish, or nay broad spectrum medication in general. However, Methylene Blue will wipe out the filter bacteria and Malachite Green is carcinogenic so wash your hands and arms well after using this stuff or working in the tank.

To work out the volume of water in the tank:
measure length x width x height in cm.
divide by 1000.
= volume in litres.

When you measure the height, measure from the top of the gravel to the top of the water.

There is a calculator/ converter in the "How To Tips" at the top of this page that will let you convert litres to gallons.

Remove any carbon from the filter before treating, and wipe the inside of the glass down, gravel clean the substrate and do a 75% water change before adding medication.

Thanks for the quick reply. It's very hard to get a good photo of him but hope this helps.
IMG_1813.JPG

Either the Bactonex or Multi Cure should do the job. They both have Methylene Blue in so will stain the silicon blue and wipe out the filter bacteria. You will have to monitor the ammonia and nitrite levels during and after using either of these.

If you can get a smaller bottle of the multi cure (rather than the 500ml) then go with that.

Try to keep the medication cool and dry. I keep mine in a plastic container with lid, on the bottom shelf in the fridge.

Make sure children and animals can't get to the medication.

Wash hands and arms well with warm soapy water after using the medication or working in the tank.

Thanks! I think I will go with the MultiCare. He is in with a baby bristlenose so I think I will have to purchase something else to medicate him in. Is there a way to stop the silicone from getting stained or maybe should I use a fishbowl to treat him in? I could get a large fishbowl and pop a low flow filter in or I could get him a 20l fish tank with a filter (only if silicone doesn't get stained). Sorry for all the question and thanks for the help!
:)

With Methylene Blue I normally treat them in a plastic storage container. The container will be stained blue too but at least its not the tank.

If you have catfish (bristlenose) then check the directions for use with scaleless fishes. If you full dose the Malachite green could kill the bristlenose. If there are no instructions for use with scaleless fish, then use it at half strength.

Thanks for all the help. I think I will separate him from catfish for treatment. He is looking a lot better today so maybe only baths in the medication?

No baths. The stress and damaged incurred when catching the fish and moving him cancels any benefits from the treatment. Just leave him in a tank/ container with the medication. Make sure it's aerated because chemicals reduce the oxygen levels in water.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back