Help and information needed.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

magical trevor

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Can't Remember the last time I was on the forum. I need some help as to what lighting I should opt for,

Ill start with what I have at the moment.
Tank: https://fishkeeper.co.uk/product/aqua-oak-120cm-x-60cm-2-doors-aquarium-and-cabinet-aq120d
tank size is 43 inch X 21.5 X 24H 380litres 83G

Lighting: Two 85 cm t5 39W Fluval power HO with a glo Ballast and reflectors. (recommended by maidenhead When I bought tank)

Co2 pressurized with pub gas bottle with solenoid needle valve and bazooka diffuser

Fluval FX6 filter (not that it matters but Knowledge is power)

planted slightly at the moment but mostly with anubias due to the fact i don't think I'm getting enough light penitration to reach the base of the tank, so substrate plants die off quickly. I use the Ei powder ferts. Ive lost alot of plants due to not enough light. the lights and co2 are on timers co2 starting an hour before lights on and stop an hour before lights off. Both have an 8.5 hour window of being on. Algae isn't an issue at all it was when i ran the lights longer as a test to see if it made a difference (it didn't).

Basically I've started looking at other lighting options. personally I prefer tubes but not ruling leds out.
My problem being is Im aiming for 1Watt per litre as I want the tank to be quite heavily planted. That mans I'd need 380W of light now I need at least 3 Tubes for that or the equivilent amount for what ever leds.

Ive been looking online and all the high wattage lighting nowadays seem to be aimed at the lidless tanks with units suspended on wires or gripped onto the edge of the tank. It does look nice but when you pay nearly a grand for a solid oak stand ,tank and lid i don't really want to change it so i need something I can fit into the lid like I have at the moment.

Can some one please show me what I should be looking at? I have enough room for 4 t5 tubes under the lid so size isnt really an issue but finding what I'm looking for is proving an issue (well for me anyway).

Thanks

Most reactions

trending

Back