Help! Albino Cory May Be Sick!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

puppyduck

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
1 Water parameters. (ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, PH, temp', Hardness etc); ammonia=0, nitrate= 5.0, nitrite=0, ph= 7.0-7.2, temperature=24.5 C ,

2. A full description of the fishes symptoms.=

Our new albino corydoras was very panicky, swimming around very rapidly, zooming up and down the side of the tank and leaping out of the surface a lot. We introduced all our fishcorrectly and they are all fine except our lil albino. They've all settled except for him, who is still staying around the surface and swimming around very quickly.

3. How often you do water changes and how much= havent changed any water as of yet; we've got a second hand tank and just got the water right. Previously it housed tetras who as far as we know were healthy. Tank was cleaned. Our two other cory's are fine.

4. Any chemicals and treatments you add to the water= we added stress zine last week to treat the water and a water conditioner that eliminates chlorine called aquasafe.

5. What tank mates are in the tank.= 2 other corys ( a peppered and a bronze), 3 glass/ghost catfish.

6. Tank size.= 20 gallons

7. Finally Have you recently added any new fish?= they were all added today, have been in the tank for 3 hours and all other fish have settled fine.

Hope you can help as I'm worried about him! We named him Panic because of his antics but I'm regretting it now. :(

Ok. Update; we tried feeding; all other fish ate but him. His behaviour is really repetetive. Just going up and down near the filter all the time in the same pattern.

I dont know what to do. HELPPP!

I'm not sure whether it is normal or not, but I bought 4 albinos today. 2 each in 2 tanks. 1 tank has a female betta, the other a male. Mine are doing exactly the same as yours. They even seem to be crashing into the sides of the tank. They are scooting maniacly up and down and all over the place. The female betta looked on in amazement whilst the male thought it might be fun to chase them for a while.

It's been about 2 hours now since they were introduced and I've just had a look at them.They have settled down and are snuffling over the gravel in a cory like fashion, Looks like their panic is over.

Sorry, just had a thought. If you've got the light on, turn it off.

Hi puppyduck :)

Your water parameters look fine and it might well be that your little albino cory is just taking a little longer to get settled in. He doesn't look like he is rolling over or appear to be out of control of himself, does he? If so, it could be the result of an injury he might have gotten when he was netted.

Corys are schooling fish and it would be best for him if you bought him a few companions of his own species. While the bronze is also a C. aeneus, one fish might not be enough to make him comfortable, especially if there is much difference in size.

____
Hi Htw :)

Please keep an eye on that male betta. Even if there is no visable damage, being chased could result in stress that will make the corys sick. Often bettas make excellent companions for corys, but sometimes it just doesn't work out.

Hey, I'm the co-owner of the fish.

Me and Puppyduck went out to the dentist for about an hour, left the room in complete darkness and silence, with curtains and door closed, and he seems to have calmed down now. All the Corys are now sitting peacefully on the gravel.

Guess he was just a bit panicky and took some time to settle. Will keep a close eye on them though. Going to try putting tank light on later.

Thanks for the help :)

Hi inchworm. Yes my daughter watched him, she was worried he might not get on. After a few mins he gave up and is fine now. We havn't had him long either and I don't think he was used to sharing. She has the tank right next to her desk and is keeping an eye on him this evening just to make sure. He does seem a big softy though. but you never can be sure. Thanks though anyway.

Well our lil cory seems slightly better. He went calm for a while but now he's gone a bit skittish again. Will let him settle down some more later; he'll probably be less stressed in the morning.

Thanks eveyrone for advice.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back