What's new

HELP- AGGRESSIVE ISSUES

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

Christina38

Reaction score
Hello, I have a cichlid that has never had aggressive issues before (I have been able to put tetras, guppies, mosquito fish, and mollies in the tank as tank-mates.) But all of the sudden today i got a few more mollies and she started trying to eat them I currently have 4 tetras in the tank with no issues.. I cannot afford a larger tank for her and i would hate to give her up (i have had this fish for almost 2 years...) Any suggestions?

Could you remove the mollies?
Unfortunately no, i don't have another working tank to put them in currently and the store i bought them at is quite a drive... (Plus they will be closed tomorrow due to the holiday)

Tank size? Sounds like overcrowding , The cichlid will have a tank zone for himself and the more fish you add the more you push into his space so hes just doing whats in his nature and defending it.

Really need to know what kind of cichlid, tank size and all tank mates

Really need to know what kind of cichlid, tank size and all tank mates
I have a 40 gallon tank with 2 angels, 4 tetras a pleco and a gourami (plus the new mollies.) Im not sure what type my cichlid is.. She is a light yellow color with almost a sunfish look towards her back-end (orange-ish and very reflective)

Do you know if it's a African, Central American or South American? Should be about full grown. How big is it?

Do you know if it's a African, Central American or South American? Should be about full grown. How big is it?
I did a bunch of research and i found out that she is a golden severum. She is approx. 4 inches (possibly less.)

What type of water do you have? soft or hard?

Also unless I am mistaken that fish will grow to about 20 cm

That's what I was thinking it might have been. Sounds like her growth is stunted if she's 2 years old. She really needs a bigger tank. Mine have grown about 6 inches within 7 months. Your tank is overstocked so there's going to be aggression issues. Severums are generally peaceful but you can get an aggressive one and with cichlids they can change over night. My severums are peaceful but run the tank with a green terror and jack dempsey in it.

What type of water do you have? soft or hard?

Also unless I am mistaken that fish will grow to about 20 cm
I have hard water, and yes they grow to be quite large.. In hoping to find her a larger tank but I don't have any place to keep her for now and it would be hard to give her up. I have asked all of my friends and none can take her.

That's what I was thinking it might have been. Sounds like her growth is stunted if she's 2 years old. She really needs a bigger tank. Mine have grown about 6 inches within 7 months. Your tank is overstocked so there's going to be aggression issues. Severums are generally peaceful but you can get an aggressive one and with cichlids they can change over night. My severums are peaceful but run the tank with a green terror and jack dempsey in it.
Im hoping to find her a large tank for herself (I want to be able to keep her since she is so friendly to me.. I can hand feed her and all.) What should i do in the meantime? I have had the same amount of fish for the time i have owned her. What should i do if i cannot find a larger tank? (Places to find her a good home...)

Thinking they mature around 4 inchs and that's when the aggression can start. I understand not wanting to give her up. My male has more personality than any fish I've ever had including oscars,Red Devils,jaguars and wolf cichlids.

As a lone fish a 40 gal breeder may be ok because of the width and being a female but a 4ft tank would be better.

Can you rehome the angels? I don't really know anything about angels so hopefully someone else will chime in about them but I would think they would need a larger tank because they do get big too. Thinking around 5-6 inches long and at least that tall

Thinking they mature around 4 inchs and that's when the aggression can start. I understand not wanting to give her up. My male has more personality than any fish I've ever had including oscars,Red Devils,jaguars and wolf cichlids.

As a lone fish a 40 gal breeder may be ok because of the width and being a female but a 4ft tank would be better.

Can you rehome the angels? I don't really know anything about angels so hopefully someone else will chime in about them but I would think they would need a larger tank because they do get big too. Thinking around 5-6 inches long and at least that tall
I totally agree! Whenever i walk into the room she swims to the front of the tank to greet me. Its really great. Where would I find the breeder/ 4ft. tanks. I don't have a LFS near me so is there any site you would recommend? My angels are fully mature (3 years old) and are about 4 1/2 inches from fin-to-fin.

I can't recommend any sites. I would imagine the shipping would be really high. Usually get mine from petco or petsmart when they have sales or Craigslist. Severums will usually max out at 8-10 inches so look for something more than 12 inches wide

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back