Hellooo!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

TWiiZY

Reaction score
Hey guys, just joined after reading a couple threads about how to stock tanks and such. Thought I'd give the forum thing a shot! :)

I have a 80L aquarium currently stocked with:
4 Mickey Mouse Swordtails (all female)
4 golden barbs
5 cherry barbs 4:1 ratio (unintentional, not trying to breed and was unsure of how to sex until I researched it)
1 Dwarf Flame Gourami.

I was thinking of getting a 2nd dwarf gourami after reading they did better in pairs or small groups. But coming here people say, not to have ONLY males. So, I may just keep the stocking as-is. For now. :)
(Only additions of like to add would probably be some kind of dwarf bottom dwelling algae eaters/sand sifter)

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Dwarf gouramis can carry a couple of diseases including the Iridovirus and Tuberculosis. Neither of these diseases can be treated and fish can carry them for months before showing any symptoms. Because of this I only recommend keeping other types of small gourami and not the common dwarf gourami (Trichogaster lalius) or any of its colour forms, unless you can get them from a breeder. Any dwarf gourami that comes from Asia could potentially carry these two diseases.

If you can tell us the tank dimensions (length x width x height) and the pH and general hardness (GH) then we will have more info to go on when advising about bottom dwellers for the tank. :)

Last edited:
Hi! Thank you for that information! I was unaware that there were other types of gourami. Well, besides the giant gourami. Unfortunately, the only 'pet store' that's close to me had a small selection of fish. So I'm quite limited in what I can/can't have. When I went, the fish I had listed were the only ones that caughght my eye. And it is currently unplanted. Just two pieces of drift wood.
(the store will be restocking all fish/plants in a few days do i just have to wait)
At the moment I'm unable to purchase a test kit to know the ph/gh levels.
The dimensions are:
67x25x31 (cm)
LxWxH
(*edited to fix the dimensions order, lol)

There are a number of small gouramis that look drab and boring until they mature, then they start to show colour. Honey dwarf, sparkling, licorice, Indian banded and thick lip gouramis are other types of small gourami.

----------------------
To work out the volume of water in the tank:
measure length x width x height in cm.
divide by 1000.
= volume in litres.
When you measure the height, measure from the top of the substrate to the top of the water level.

----------------------
If you contact your water supply company or check their website, you should be able to find the pH and GH of your water. Alternatively take a glass full of tank water to the pet shop and ask them to test the pH and GH for you. Write the results down when they do the tests.

Most reactions

trending

Back