Hello!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Sanjukta

Reaction score
Hello! This is my betta named Blush!
I wanted some help identifying him.. not that I am into breeding but I just want to know how to make sure which group of Betta does he belong to!
I wish to enhance my knowledge on understanding the bettas as I am new to owning this beautiful fish.
Blush absolutely does not react make bubble nests or flare. I understand that it’s ok. Am I right? Plz help if otherwise!

Attachments

• C2D66238-70C2-4423-B14C-522B92343336.jpeg
    C2D66238-70C2-4423-B14C-522B92343336.jpeg
    211.1 KB · Views: 302
  • 52358911-094A-4CE5-B6B3-1373EC35D141.jpeg
    52358911-094A-4CE5-B6B3-1373EC35D141.jpeg
    331.7 KB · Views: 307
Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Did you buy the fish as a male Betta or male Siamese fighting fish?
If yes, then it is simply a cream coloured Betta splendens.

Many years ago Betta splendens was hybridised with Betta imbellis and a few other small Bettas to produce the different coloured fish we see today. They are considered Betta splendens but in reality, most of them have a mixture of different DNA from their ancestors.

--------------------------
Male fish build a bubblenest when they are sexually mature. Your fish has short fins, which would indicate it is either a female, a young male, or a short fin male. The short fin males are regularly used for fighting. If it's a young male it will need a few more months of good food and clean water to mature, then it should build a bubblenest.

If you have some floating plants in the tank, it can encourage them to build a bubblenest. The best plant is Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta), which floats on the surface but can also be grown in the substrate.

--------------------------
If you put a mirror next to the tank, the male should see his reflection and display to it. You can leave the mirror next to the tank for 2-10 minutes and then remove the mirror. You can do this once or twice a week. The male sees his reflection and thinks it is another male that has come into his territory. He will show off to it and try to drive it out of his territory. After a few minutes you remove the mirror and the fish thinks he has driven the intruder away. He will then strut around the tank thinking he is a big fish because he drove off the intruder.

Do not leave mirrors next to the tank for more than 10-15minutes or more than 2 times per week because the male will show off continuously and will get weaker from displaying and chemicals in his body. They get adrenalin flowing through their system when they fight and if they get too much or have it for too long it makes them sick.

Hi Colin_T !
I appreciate your response and guidance.
Yes I got him as a male betta (his box said halfmoon plakat male)
In the past few days, I did read about how he is identified as a male and leart from fellow betta owners too that he is male. Long ventral fins, absence of a triangular bulge (ovaries) & slender and good fin musculature being a few markers that identified him as a male.
I certainly am not aware of how old he is and how to identify the group of bettas that he belongs to with certainty.. so am trying to gain more understanding on that front :)

Halfmoon Plakat is simply the tail type of the fish. Halfmoon being the tail shape, which looks like half a moon. Plakat being a short fin fish used for fighting.

The fish is a Betta splendens, although some of his ancestors going back to the 70s will probably be Betta imbellis. But for all intents and purposes, the fish is a Betta splendens.

Male Bettas are normally aged between 6 & 12 months old when the shops get them. Most males take this long to develop the big fins. If your fish is about 1 inch long then it is probably 3-4 months old. If it is 2 inches long it is 6-9 months old. If it is 3 inches or bigger then it is more than 12 months old.

Thanks a tonne Colin_T! This really added to my knowledge.. Loving the process :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back