Hello

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

The Lumpfish Guy

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I just wanted to introduce myself on here before posting anywhere else (as I am sure is the idea).

A little about myself and my hobby,
I have been in the hobby for almost 20 years now and have kept (in my opinion) an interesting range of fish. I have kept both marine and freshwater tanks, both in Cold and tropical iterations.

I look forward to interacting with you all :)

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

What fish do you currently have?

Hi, I was hoping to do one of the aquarium photo threads, but I can give you a quick rundown here.

So at the moment I am currently enjoying;

125 Roma with dwarf puffers and corydoras
1 large and one small fluval edge ( large has guppies small has a Betta)
20L with a Betta ( nothing special just a standard half moon)
60L hex with more guppies
Fluval Evo marine Tank which is currently cycling ( planned FOWLR, with two small clowns)

That's it for tanks, I have got quite a few larger ones (200-1000L) in storage which used to be operational instead of the smaller volumes, but smaller house so I got to do what I can!

Thinking about changing out the puffers into a 90L that I have and getting Discus again for the 125 but no decision made yet. I like having the larger tank for the DP's it is lightly stocked, easy to maintain and just a good bit of fun.

As for the guppies, I just enjoy making my own strains nothing serious or competition worthy but just fun really.

Through I would do this in another post.
As for my past experience, It has pretty much been 50/50 with salt and marine.
I have done quite a few UK marine tanks, including a tidal rockpool which I made for a friend's child. And I have had quite a bit of success with these.
Tropical, I have kept a few relatively small marine tanks (200-400L) mainly FOWLR but i have done a few things with mainly SPS, Anemones and some interesting inverts (sponges, worms, isopods)
Cold water I was lucky to work in the Antarctic and had the opportunity to set up, and ship home 8 Antarctic marine aquariums with fish, inverts, sponges, algae. Which was cool, I'm sure I'll post pictures eventually.

As for Freshwater
I love Angels and Discus always have since I got my first angel's with my dad age 6-7 with a 200L tank we bought from a guy at his work for a £5! and have always tried to have one or the other in my tanks.
I have kept quite a few species mainly Cichlids but have had a few Anabantids and the usual host of "beginner" fish, guppies, platys, tetras, hatchets ect.

And last but not least had one or two goldies, nothing too special but i have never yet met a fishkeeper who has not had a goldfish at some point

I like to have all my tanks well planted, and tend to take it all quite relaxed.

Hi, I was hoping to do one of the aquarium photo threads, but I can give you a quick rundown here.
You can still do a photo thread and I'm sure there's plenty of people here who would love to see the puffers and the other fish.

Cold water I was lucky to work in the Antarctic and had the opportunity to set up, and ship home 8 Antarctic marine aquariums with fish, inverts, sponges, algae. Which was cool, I'm sure I'll post pictures eventually.
I expect to see pictures and hear more about this. I don't often come across something new and interesting so you have peaked my curiosity :)

You can still do a photo thread and I'm sure there's plenty of people here who would love to see the puffers and the other fish.

I will get round to this when I can, I am away from home at the moment working so it will have to be at a later date. but definitely will get round to it!.... the wife is looking after the tanks..... :eek:

I expect to see pictures and hear more about this. I don't often come across something new and interesting so you have peaked my curiosity :)

I had hoped it would peak some interest, if there is some might do a this is what i did step by step thread with some pictures. or could do a species profile? or both :fish:

the wife is looking after the tanks..... :eek:
That can be good or bad. We had a guy at fish club who use to bring in fish for the auction table every month. We use to hear about his tanks and his fish were always nice. This went on for years and then one day we found out his wife had been doing all the work and breeding the fish and he simply took the credit for it. :)

Step by step, with pictures and species information will suffice for the Antarctic tanks. No pressure :)
What sort of research were you doing in the Antarctic and did you have anything to do with the anti freeze in the fish?

That can be good or bad. We had a guy at fish club who use to bring in fish for the auction table every month. We use to hear about his tanks and his fish were always nice. This went on for years and then one day we found out his wife had been doing all the work and breeding the fish and he simply took the credit for it. :)

Ha! Well she is interested but had no experience until meeting me, she has been left with detailed instructions so what could go wrong....:angel: although if she managed to breed my DP's I will/ will not be impressed..
She is a vet, so am trying to teach her a little about fish as all they learn in vet school is the aquaculture side of it, and even that isn't much.

Step by step, with pictures and species information will suffice for the Antarctic tanks. No pressure :)
What sort of research were you doing in the Antarctic and did you have anything to do with the anti freeze in the fish?
I will get working on it and see what I can do!

I was working on a long term monitoring project called RATS, which has been running for over 20 years looking at biological and oceanographic changes on the antarctic peninsula. as part of that I was Diving and collecting animals for samples and to send back to the UK. I ran the onsite (flow through) aquarium ( 30 Tanks) and what is called the transport aquarium basically a big refrigerated shipping container with Aquariums in.
Nothing directly involved in the Anti freeze research, mainly environmental monitoring and climate change research.

It sounds really cool, I expect pictures and a thorough report by the end of the year :)

Antarctica, cool.

Photos please.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back