Hello Tff And Dwarf Puffer Lovers !

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

HWood

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hello All - 

I am a novice fish keeper and have had tons of dumb luck over the years with tanks here and there. I have never really gotten into the "science" of it all because I mostly got away with stuff that I shouldn't have (over crowding, over feeding, not testing water etc...) When I just recently found this forum and started reading, I couldn't believe all the mistakes I had made. So much great info here!

Back in October, my neighbor who frequently fishes Lake Erie (Cleveland, Ohio) brought home a bucket of Minnows that he uses for bate. I noticed a few little guys that stood out from the rest. He had a small channel cat and 3 gobys. I told him that I would get my 10 gallon out of the attic and get it going again so I could keep them. Well, that didn't go so good... 

They all died within a month or so, and I really felt bad... really.
sad.png
   So I decided that I wanted to keep my 10 up and going (get back into fish keeping) but I needed to figure out what went wrong... I went to our local aquaculture store and made friends with the employees who spelled out the basics that makes perfect sense, and told me what I needed to do. After purchasing a water test kit, I found that my water wasn't in that bad of shape and with a moderate cleaning, water changes, and testing.. I was cycled. YAY !!

Now, after countless hours of surfing by reading and looking at all my fishy options (and I mean countless... ) I finally decided on dwarf puffers.

Today, I became the proud Momma of 2 juveniles! Merry Christmas to me 
yahoo.gif
lol.

Please check out their new crib and photos... They are so small, maybe a half inch but I can see a HUGE amount of personality already. I think I have a male and female but not sure (about the male) - could have 2 females?

Any DP lovers out there, reach out to me so I can keep you close for help and advice~~~~

THX ALL and Happy Holidays!!

xx HWood

CRIB...
IMG_0865.JPG

BOTH
IMG_0862.JPG

Hey All~

I wrote a long post a bit ago and it did not publish?? 

Rather than write it again, here is my Summary...

Became a Momma of 2 dwarf Puffers today... Merry Christmas to me...

Nice to meet you all...

Dwarf Puffer lovers please reach out as I will need to keep you close for help and support :)

IMG_0865.JPG

IMG_0862.JPG

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!!

HWood xx

Hey, welcome and merry christmas! dwarf puffers are wonderful little fish 
smile.png
I have one called star a little female she was the last one left in the dealers tank looking really sorry for herself it was touch and go for a bit if she would live but she pulled through and has gone from strength to strength, males are usually more brighter yellow than the females who appear more dull in colouration with more overall brown spots, the males also get green wrinkles behind their eyes most of the time. I had a trio a while back which consisted of two males and one female they lived around two years and I just had to have them again, they are finicky feeders though and need live food or frozen mine has also accepted freeze dried brine shrimp and bloodworm, they go mad when they see a snail lol I love their little cross eyed look when they home in on one 
wub.png

betta fish said:
Hey, welcome and merry christmas! dwarf puffers are wonderful little fish 
smile.png
I have one called star a little female she was the last one left in the dealers tank looking really sorry for herself it was touch and go for a bit if she would live but she pulled through and has gone from strength to strength, males are usually more brighter yellow than the females who appear more dull in colouration with more overall brown spots, the males also get green wrinkles behind their eyes most of the time. I had a trio a while back which consisted of two males and one female they lived around two years and I just had to have them again, they are finicky feeders though and need live food or frozen mine has also accepted freeze dried brine shrimp and bloodworm, they go mad when they see a snail lol I love their little cross eyed look when they home in on one 
wub.png

Hello Betta Fish, thanks for the reply.

I think they are still settling in and seem to be shy. Yesterday they ate for me (frozen blood worms) but today could care less. If they bite, they spit it out... hmmm... They are checking out the gravel and acting like they are looking for something, but I just cant catch them actually eating. Plus with the large plants, I lose sight of them in there. Both are only about a .5 inch long. Also I noticed one is becoming aggressive to the other... I hope I dont have 2 males.. I hate to panic but Im not sure what to do... I dont want to overfeed and have all that food in there if they are not eating it, and should I be concerned about the aggression at this point?

It does take a while to get them eating but they should all mine did accept frozen bloodworms I offer them on the end of a toothpick and wiggle them about to get their attention, because they are so small I would not offer more than one worm each at a time and see how they go only feed them once a day any uneaten worms should be removed. As for the agression keep an eye when I had three it did get quite bad with the two males but sometimes they have a pecking order just see if they work things out.

Hey Betta Fish Gurl - :)

I went and bought another female today. She is just as dominant as he is.. They all seem to hang out together for a while til feeding time and then he tries to chase them away.  Now, new girl is like " Dude, Imma gonna eat too" and keeps coming right back to his spot. I'm feeding from a pipette, none of them will go up to it, but when I drop in the water, they are all over the blood worms tonight...Last nite, not so much... 

I think with the addition definitely distracted him as he seems less aggressive. I will continue to watch as you say. All are eating tonight so I am very happy :)

Thanks again!! Will PM with questions. :)

HWood  xx

Sounds good :) you are lucky you can find them, I have only seen them a handful of times in the shops near me I think it is because they sell out so quickly when they come in!

Most reactions

Back