Hello, New And Feeling Lost :-)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Skatchmo

Reaction score
Hi all

Very new to all this Forum and fish keeping but willing to try it all and give it my best shot.

Have a 36 x 12 x 15 inch tank with a Fluval U2 filter and 150 watt heater.

All I have done so far is added a couple of rocks onto a sand substrate, Chose sand because I like the look of it and noticed it was being used in a few tanks at the aquatic center.

Have had the tank up a couple of days now with the filter and pump running and was pushed towards a New Aquarium Start Up Kit made by Interpet.

I am going to add some solid decorations over the coming weeks due to trying to budget my money on the tank but no plant life.

The kit I am using says that after 7 days of following their procedure (which I am doing to the letter) the tank will be ready to receive some fish. However after doing some reading up it seems that everywhere you read people say you should add ammonia and monitor levels over 4 - 6 weeks.

I'm feeling a bit lost and wondered if anyone could give me some advice please.

I don't want to waste money and throw this kit away but at the same time I do want to have a tank with healthy and happy fish.

I would only add a couple of fish in a week I understand about over stocking and I do have access to some media in another smaller goldfish bowl.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks!

I guess the most important question for us to be able to help you is this:  What are the instructions that you are following?

Once we've established that, we can give you some better direction.

As far as the kit goes, more than likely, you'd be better off returning it, if possible.  But, sight unseen, that's hard to determine.

OK here goes 

Day 1 - add "fresh Start"
Day 2 - Add decor plants etc, I have only added sand and a couple of stones.
Day 3 - (this is today) Add filter start and test Ph levels (which are at 8.5)
Day 4 - Do nothing
Day 5 - add filter start
Day 6 - Do nothing
Day 7 - add fish (max 8") and add filter start
Day 8 - Do Nothing
Day 9 - Add filter start
Day 10 - Do Nothing
Day 11 - Test Nitrite, add filter start
Day 12 no action

continue as per Day 11 and 12 until day 21 when it states that the nitrite levels should now be clear.

Day 21 - Test Nitrites, Test Ph, carry out 25% water change.

Aquarium is now mature.

It doesn't say whether the filter start is ammonia or not so I am slightly blinded by all this.

Does this sound reasonable?

Many thanks 

:hi: to the forum.

Have a read of the cycling link in my signature, that will hopefully help you understand what to do :)

How big is the goldfish bowl?

What are you thinking of stocking your tank with?

you should ask some more specific questions please
tongue2.gif

Hello, and welcome!
What kind of kit is it?
Does it test for PH (preferably high-range), Ammonia, and Nitrites?

Skatchmo said:
OK here goes 

Day 1 - add "fresh Start"
Day 2 - Add decor plants etc, I have only added sand and a couple of stones.
Day 3 - (this is today) Add filter start and test Ph levels (which are at 8.5)
Day 4 - Do nothing
Day 5 - add filter start
Day 6 - Do nothing
Day 7 - add fish (max 8") and add filter start
Day 8 - Do Nothing
Day 9 - Add filter start
Day 10 - Do Nothing
Day 11 - Test Nitrite, add filter start
Day 12 no action

continue as per Day 11 and 12 until day 21 when it states that the nitrite levels should now be clear.

Day 21 - Test Nitrites, Test Ph, carry out 25% water change.

Aquarium is now mature.

It doesn't say whether the filter start is ammonia or not so I am slightly blinded by all this.

Does this sound reasonable?

Many thanks 

Yeah, it sounds like a standard 'starter' kit.  Unfortunately, they are far less effective than they would have you believe. 

First, the "Fresh Start" is just a dechlorinator... nothing more than that.
Second, the "Filter Start" claims that it needs to be added monthly.  I don't trust ANY product like this when it claims that it needs to be added on a routine basis.  Ideally, once the filter is fully cultured with the bacteria you need, the bacteria will reproduce sufficiently on their own, and not need a 'boost'.  In fact, they can be used to seed OTHER filters, because they are successful enough.  They don't need help from an additive, unless you are doing something wrong.

You have a few issues here, primarily that when adding 'filter start' (which I assume is supposed to be some sort of bacteria in a bottle) there is no source of ammonia for the bacteria to 'munch' and multiply.  These directions are going to place you squarely in a 'fish-in' cycle, unfortunately.  I'd take Blondie's advice and check out our fishless cycling article instead.

The second big issue that I see is that they claim that your tank will be 'mature' in as little as 21 days.  That's just laughable.  True maturity has to do with much more than merely cycling the tank.  There's a lot of things that go into a tank being 'mature', and I'd say that the process takes about 6 months.  It can be sped up by using components from a mature tank (decor, substrate, etc.) but it will still take time before the tank is fully 'mature'.

So, personally, I'd ignore those instructions and just go through the 'fishless' cycling process.  Find some ammonia, and if possible, some mature media.  You could continue to use the filter start, but again, I think that it may actually hurt you long term, as it may be encouraging the wrong bacteria, since the proper ones don't require help when they are properly cultured.

I agree with Eagle's assessment of the filter start product :nod:
I don't think it can hurt your tank to add it though.  These bacterial products usually contain a wide range of different bacteria, both autotrophic and heterotrophic, just as a mature filter is made of lots of different species of bacteria.  The best bacteria will thrive under the right conditions.  I would ignore the instructions and add the Filter Start just once or twice while you begin a fishless cycle, then ditch it.

guppy2002 said:
you should ask some more specific questions please
tongue2.gif
The OP is asking for advice on a specific product, his questions are just fine and very sensible.

Thanks for all the above advice guys and gals. I will do the fishless cycle as I don't want to harm any fish if i can help it.
I have a gold fish starter tank that has been going for some time now. Can I use some of the media from that tank. I.e some of the gravel or squeeze the filter sponge in my new tank. Also can anyone suggest ammonia to buy and where from please. Low budget family so trying to keep costs Down.

Thanks all.

The cheapest place to get ammonia is usually Kleenoff from Amazon, although Homebase will sometimes have ammonia in their household cleaning section.
If your goldfish filter has a sponge inside, you can snip off a piece of the sponge and add it to your new filter.  If not then a few handfuls of gravel is the next best option.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back