Hello! I'm new to raising my betta babies and I need some help because I think one of them is sick

angelbettaa

Reaction score
Hello please help me if you can! I got this betta a few weeks back alone with another Betta that sadly passed. My betta has been weak since the other betta passed (they share a tank) and I'm afraid that he may have gotten sick because of my other betta that passed. Yesterday he was gasping continuously and we had just changed the water of the tank and brought home a new betta. He was mostly at the bottom and weak. He'd push himself to swim up to get some air. This morning I woke up and he's a lot better but I noticed that his two front fins have a little string thing dangling and he has weird little bumps on him. I hope it's not itch Though the bumps aren't too noticeable they're quite tiny. I'm just really worried that he's sick and if he is if it's contagious to the new betta we just got and what I should do. Please let me know! By the way my tank size is 2 gallons
I have pictures attached.

Attachments

• IMG_8580.JPG
    IMG_8580.JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_8581.JPG
    IMG_8581.JPG
    143.9 KB · Views: 151
Welcome to the forum :hi:

I'm sorry to tell you this but your tank is not big enough for one betta let alone two. And yes, I know, before you say it that the pet store sold it to you and told you it would be ok and that betta's can survive in very small amounts of water - but the bottom line is most pet stores will say anything to sell you a fish or two :(

The minimum tank size for one betta is often quoted as 2.5 gallons but even that is too small 5 is better - my boy is in 10 all on his own.

Apart from that we need some more info so that we can help you - can you answer the following questions

• is the tank cycled - how did you cycle it?
  • does the tank have a filter?
  • does it have a heater - what temp is it set to?
  • how much water do you change and how often?
  • what water conditioner do you use?
  • apart from the fish what else is in the tank - fake plants, live plants etc?
  • apart from the new fish have you added anything else recently?
If you can give us more info we can try and help :good:

yes i agree with sarahp a 2 gallon tank is way to small for just 1 betta. i would upgrade to a 5 gal

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back