What's new

Hello I'm new here

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

eyecnn5

Reaction score
I've been keeping fish over thirty years and just realized, after doing quite a bit of research that I've been doing everything wrong. I hope to find out a lot here while I begin to start my 36 gallon tank and begin to cycle the tank.
Thanks eyecnn5

Welcome to the forum, eyecnn. I'm sure you'll find plenty of useful information here.

-Kamran

Welcome to the forum, eyecnn. I'm sure you'll find plenty of useful information here.

-Kamran
Thank you Kamran, it's very nice to meet you. Since I've read so much about the dwarf ram cichlids and have narrowed down my stock decision between Rams, killifish and tetras. After all these years, I'm getting this one right.
Thanks again eyecnn5.

Just one quick point; you'll need to find out the hardness and pH of your water before you decide on species to keep. You should be able to find that information on your supplier's website.

For example, one of the ram species, Mikrogeophagus ramirezi, needs very soft water to do well. It also needs much warmer water than most other tropical species, so tankmates will be limited.

Just one quick point; you'll need to find out the hardness and pH of your water before you decide on species to keep. You should be able to find that information on your supplier's website.

For example, one of the ram species, Mikrogeophagus ramirezi, needs very soft water to do well. It also needs much warmer water than most other tropical species, so tankmates will be limited.
Thanks so much for the info.i already know that we have really hard water and low pH (out of the tap). I just started cycling my tank two days ago so I know I have plenty of time to do some research. I did not know that the one particular ram needs soft water so that bit of info. Has already helped me in my search.
Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post. Really appreciate it very much.
eyecnn

Good evening. I have really learned a lot so far from you all. I do have a "cycling" question. I hope I'm on the right forum, if not please forgive me. My new 36 gallon bow front tall tank has been set up for three days now.
I have 3 zebras and 3 buenas Aires tetras swimming around. I checked the water and the PH is 7.6 (from BELOW) 7.6.
The PH High range is up today from 8.2 yesterday to 8.0 (after my first 10 % water change earlier today.
The ammonia has been 1.0 both days. The nitrite is o and the nitrate is o.
I'm wondering if these are basically the readings from my city water since I just filled it up a couple of days ago.
Still researching ram fish but still have plenty of time to decide what the main stock will be.
Thank you for reading and have a wonderful evening.

With an ammonia reading of 1.0 you need to do a large water change to get it down to zero. Then test the water at least once every day and do a water change every time you see ammonia and/or nitrite above zero. With a pH that high, more of the ammonia will be in the toxic form than there would be at a low pH.

Or better still, take the fish back to the shop and do a fishless cycle before getting any more fish. http://www.fishforums.net/threads/cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first.421488/ This is much easier as you don't have to do any water changes.

Testing your tap water should be done to see how much, if any, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate it contains. With pH, you need to test it freshly run and also a glass of water that has stood overnight. They will probably be different.
Your water supplier's website should tell you how hard your water is. It is important to know your tap water hardness for choosing fish. Unless you do something to alter the hardness, or have limestone/shells/coral in the tank, the hardness of a tank should be the same as tap water.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back