Hello, I want to check if my tank is compatible for oscar

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
You need to bear in mind that I (and other members) have no idea as to your level of knowledge. So when I see something that can or may be misunderstood by others who may have even less knowledge, it is only right to point it out so we all benefit. If you read my first paragraph in post #8 you should see that I stated I was only commenting generally on aspects and not criticizing you or your maintenance; inferences could be drawn by others, and they would be incorrect.

I have no idea as to your present maintenance as you have not given us any data, but regardless, the question asked involved three Oscars in a tank that is certainly not large enough, and I went from that starting point.
I did mention first details and that you don't need to worry much about water quality, my only concern was if the height is too bad, and it's sometimes nice to just answer the question without getting out of context. I've been in the hobby since I was 10 that was 16 years ago, but I never kept oscars and I miss some information about height of tank which i couldn't find answers online before getting here. Anw I didn't intend to sound mean before I thank you for your time and help.

This is not an Oscar but demonstrates why its a bad idea to keep a big fish in a small tank.

This is not an Oscar but demonstrates why its a bad idea to keep a big fish in a small tank.

Well posted Nick. The woman in the video thinks its funny, but that poor fish is acting from frustration which is severe stress and that is simply cruelty to animals. Just because it is a fish is no reason to make its life miserable.

Last edited:

I don't see how it's relevent. I would never do that. And the oscar won't look like that in my aquarium it's 1.65meters and the oscar gets maximum 30 cm in captivity. I have a 250 gallon aquarium that house only 1 asian arowana. Would never put a giant gourami in a 1 Meter tank. but good point for those who would do that. It's not funny and also makes you paranoid and feel bad when you see a tank like that.

Actually seriously fish gives 35 centimeters as the maximum in captivity, and I am assuming this is not guiness world record maximum, either, with exceptional individuals being possibly an inch or two bigger, considering the igfa record was a bit over 18", or nearly half a meter.

While this was stated as exceptional even for a wild fish, fact is 2 pounds is considered a big fish, but attainable.

As stated before, Oscars are very sensitive to nitrate, and the first two visible signs of very low level nitrate poisoning in fish are reduced growth and reduced lifespan.
Other effects are anemia, elevated white blood cells and damage to liver and kidneys, although these require autopsies and blood tests to detect, to outward appearance the fish dies for no apparent reason.

Sorry, was mostly directed at the almost universal lowballing I see of potential maximum size for fish, and the fact that while it's easy to see when a tank is way too small, determining what is a bit too small can be tricky.

Last edited:
Anw I'm done with this thread I got the answers I need I won't be coming back.
Actually seriously fish gives 35 centimeters as the maximum in captivity, and I am assuming this is not guiness world record maximum, either, with exceptional individuals being possibly an inch or two bigger, considering the igfa record was a bit over 18", or nearly half a meter.

While this was stated as exceptional even for a wild fish, fact is 2 pounds is considered a big fish, but attainable.

As stated before, Oscars are very sensitive to nitrate, and the first two visible signs of very low level nitrate poisoning in fish are reduced growth and reduced lifespan.
Other effects are anemia, elevated white blood cells and damage to liver and kidneys, although these require autopsies and blood tests to detect, to outward appearance the fish dies for no apparent reason.

Sorry, was mostly directed at the almost universal lowballing I see of potential maximum size for fish, and the fact that while it's easy to see when a tank is way too small, determining what is a bit too small can be tricky.

Look at you mr 5 cm guiness guy.
I would get that Guinness winning oscar a bigger tank don't worry.
So 1 oscar isn't good enough now in a 165cm and it's over populating? and I should worry about ammonia and nitrate:p?!.
I can teach you some stuff about ammonia, nitrate and water quality. if you have a question send me a private message.
Ciao. This ends for me.

When I ask a question of someone regarding fish, it is to gain knowledge to improve my fish husbandry. I do not understand those who expect the answer to be what they want before they ask, then criticize the very knowledgeable individuals (aside from myself here) who give them factual answers because those answers do not agree with the "preferred" answer.

I can teach you some stuff about ammonia, nitrate and water quality.
Now I say this with all sincerity, Please teach us about water quality, I am always willing to learn

If you're going to discuss water quality, start a new thread for it.

While I lived in the UK I always wanted Oscars but never had the tank for them. Now I live in Portugal I have the room for a tank of my dreams in my cellar. I am building a 5,000 Lt tank and I only want a few Oscars but I will look to have a couple of other fish with them but yet I don't know what. The picture was taken with the first coat of sealer done.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    18.7 KB · Views: 203
While I lived in the UK I always wanted Oscars but never had the tank for them. Now I live in Portugal I have the room for a tank of my dreams in my cellar. I am building a 5,000 Lt tank and I only want a few Oscars but I will look to have a couple of other fish with them but yet I don't know what. The picture was taken with the first coat of sealer done.

Those Oscars will be very happy, I am sure.
Wish I could afford the money and space for a tank this size.

From what I have heard about oscar behavior, they tend to be less territorial than other cichlids, at least when their ultimate large size is considered, with the main issues being either when they are kept with fish small enough to eat, or in a tank so small that their territory ends up taking up the whole thing.

Haven't done much research on compatibility of fish over 15 centimeters, or 6 inches adult size, other than the most common species but chemistry wise, it would probably be better to avoid anything from Central America.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back