Hello From Singapore ! New to forum, new to everything

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°
Thank you [emoji3][emoji1303] thatā€™s good to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did another change, didnā€™t manage to change yesterday.
D55BBD6C-11B2-4525-924F-A72E2884FBD2.jpeg

The ammonia level still isnā€™t reaching 0,

But I manage to lower the ph level.

And I think my guppy has a bloated stomach... I hope he is just fat haha
1B8765F9-B9B8-470A-A9E7-BA5C4AC829C2.jpeg

As long as the guppy is still eating he is fine. If he stops eating, does stringy white poop and sits under the surface gasping then there is an issue.

Keep doing water changes and the ammonia will eventually come down to 0.

Alright ! Thanks I will keep changing and monitor !

In the future , before I get more fishes, I going a cycle a new fish-less tank. Hahahah

Colin,

I pretty sure my guppy has a cut on the side fin, gill area, from some angle, I notice some fury thingy.

And itā€™s look it is bleeding, from a cut or a fight...

IMG_7646.jpg

IMG_7645.jpg

How can I do to help . I started notice him, when he starting to hide in decorations, he seems to be want to be left alone.

Please teach me how to cure him.

Are his scales sticking out from his body, around his belly?

If his scales are sticking out he has an internal bacterial infection and these can be very hard to treat.

If his scales are not sticking out from his body he could have a protozoan infection or an external bacterial infection.
A protozoan infection will cause the fish to rub on objects and the fish normally gets a cream, white or grey film over the infected area. A bacterial infection will make the area red.

The fish in the images look like it has a bacterial infection.

You can try a broad spectrum fish medication, however if it contains Methylene Blue it will wipe out the filter bacteria. Try not to use anti-biotics because they will wipe out the filter bacteria too.

If you can't get a medication that doesn't wipe out filter bacteria, then try to treat the fish in a separate container (40 litre plastic storage crates work well). Fill the container with clean water that is free of chlorine/ chloramine and aerate it. Put the sick fish in it and treat the fish in the container.

--------------------------
To work out the volume of water in the tank:
measure length x width x height in cm.
divide by 1000.
= volume in litres.

When you measure the height, measure from the top of the substrate to the top of the water level.

There is a calculator/ converter in the "How To Tips" at the top of this page that will let you convert litres to gallons if you need it.

Remove carbon (black granulates substance) from the filter before treating or it will absorb the medication and stop it working.

If you treat the main tank, wipe the inside of the glass down, do a 75% water change and complete gravel clean. And clean the filter before treating.

Increase surface turbulence/ aeration when using medications because they reduce the dissolved oxygen in the water.

I donā€™t have any medication now...

I am just going to separate him into another container..... and hopefully he does not die , and I will get medication first thing in the morning....

781d2db99986364596380c5351e425d7.jpg

He looks better in the last picture.

You can use salt to treat some problems. Add 2 heaped tablespoons of rock salt, sea salt or swimming pool salt per 20 litres of water. If there is no improvement after 48 hours, you can add another 2 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres of water so there is 4 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres.

If you need to do a water change (due to ammonia or nitrite in the water), make sure the new water has some salt in it before you add it to the container with the sick fish.

Keep the salt level like this for 2 weeks and if the fish is better, then start doing 10% water changes each day for a week to dilute the salt. After a week of 10% water changes, increase it to 20% water changes each day for a week. After that you can do bigger water changes.

I rushed to a 24 hours shop to get this... hopefully itā€™s work... i donā€™t have another tank... so I just going to keep in a bucket.

4b3857b7353b566ea603ebfd2659f8f4.jpg

Make sure you aerate the bucket of water with the fish and medication.

Each day change all the water and redo the medication.

Will do.

Thanks you so much.

Thanks for the reply so late at night.

Truly appreciated

I canā€™t seems to get the ammonia level down to 0. It stuck at 0.25. I am starting to doubt the api ammonia test from the test kit.... itā€™s always very light green... never yellow...

The total amount of 75% water change I have done is around 6 times already :(

And I think the guppy is fine... I donā€™t think it is bacterial infection. Most likely is other guppies(all males) nipping him.

He seems to be fine, eating as usual, hanging out with the other guppies as usual, but once in a while, he will retreat back to his usual hiding place which is a helmet display...

Damn these guppies should learn how to live in peace. Lol

Check your tap water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

After that take a sample (phial) of tapwater and add a drop of dechlorinator. Shake it up and test for ammonia. If you have chloramine in the water supply, that will probably be causing the low levels of ammonia in the tank water.

Chloramine is a mixture of ammonia and chlorine. The ammonia keeps the chlorine active for longer so the chlorine can kill more stuff in the water. When you add a drop of dechlorinator to the phial of water, you break the chlorine/ ammonia bond and you should get an ammonia reading.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back